Error: This specified module could not be found (msls31.dll)

I am running on Windows 7 64 bits. 

Lately I have thiis message flashing on my screen:  "Error -  This specified module could not be found (msls31.dll)".

I am not sure what is causing the problem or what it is related to?

Please advise.

Question Info

Last updated October 7, 2018 Views 49,093 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

1)      What is the make and model of the computer?

2)      Do you remember making any changes prior to this issue?

Let us follow the methods given below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run System file checker scan.

Refer to the article given below and follow the instruction provided.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

If the issue persists, let us check the issue performing a clean boot.

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

If you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

In reply to your question:

1. My desktop is home built, with a P5QL-E motherboard and an Intel Core2 Quad CPU.  It has installed memory of 6GB (3.74 GB usable).  It operates on Windows 7  64 bits, SP1.
  2. I can't remember specially the changes I make prior to this issue.  However I am not the only user, with my son using the desktop a lot of the time.  The only significant change I made is installation of Dropbox.
I have tried using System File Checker tool to troubleshoot.  The message I received is that "Window Resources Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CSB.Logwindir\Log\CBS\CBS.log".  

However the CBS.log did not indicate any corrupt files that were not fixed.

I suppose the next step is to do a Clean Boot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Further information on the appearance of the error message  "Error -  This specified module could not be found (msls31.dll)"

It only seems to appear whenever I click on the "Start" at the bottom left hand corner of taskbar to bring up the pop-up menu.

Any ideas why

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done a "clean boot' of my desktop.  However the error message still appears every time I click on the "Start" button at LH corner of the taskbar.

Any other suggestions to resolve the above issue?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I [keep] getting the message when some programs are open, the latest being "Adobeupdater.exe corrupt" and that "\Temporary Internet Files\counters.dat is corrupt and unreadable". [SOURCE]

When I tired to access "Help" in Windows 7, the "Windows Help and Support" window will appear but is blank and won't respond to any key strokes.

I tried to access Internet Explorer 10 - Tool - Internet option to disable script debugging but the Internet Option window would not appear.

I also tried to use Windows Update to installed the latest optional updates for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems but failed with the following error message: error code 9C48 Windows update encountere an unknown error. When I clicked on the "Get help with this error" link help window appears with the the following search code "WindowsUpdate_00009C48"... but no script appear. [SOURCE]

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

2a. Was Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) originally offered & installed via Windows Update or did you intentionallychoose to install it?

2b. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client <=this folder

Select Properties: What is the Created date displayed on the resulting General tab?

2c. What ANTIMALWARE CLIENT version is currently installed? To find out, open MSE & click on the downward-pointing arrow to the right of HELP then select ABOUT SECURITY ESSENTIALS.

3. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?

4a. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?

4b. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2846071 [or KB2829530] & KB2850851;
    (b) KB2845690, KB2839894 & KB2830290;
    (c) KB2813170, KB2813347, KB2840149 & KB2807986;
    (d) KB2790113; KB2676562 & KB2644615.

6. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 7 Update 25 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.8.800.94 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8a. When (exact date) was Windows Internet Explorer 10 installed according to Installed Updates (or Update History)?

8b. What Update Version is displayed in the second line of text in IE10's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab (e.g., Update Version: 10.0.4)?

8c. Were you having this problems before you upgraded to IE10?

8d. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Do you and your son each have your own, password-protected User Account and does everybody else use the Guest Account when they're using your computer with your permission?

10. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related references may include:

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

[Last Revised - 12 August 2013, 21:26 UTC]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

1a.  Home assembled in May 2011
  b. Originally Windows XP; was upgraded to Windows 7 Pro using clean install last year.

2a) MSE was originally offered and installed via Window Updates
  b) Create date: Sun 18 November 2012
  c)  Antimal client version: 4.3.215.0

3.  AVG - it was uninstalled after MSE was installed.

4a.  No Norton or McFee
  b.  No free trial ever loaded on to desktop

5.  Updates installed
  a.  All except KB 2846071
  b. All
  c.  All
  d.  All

6.  Java Version 7.25

7.  Flash Player Version 11.7.700.224 installed.  

Note: Unable to complete installation of  v11.8.800.94.  Following error message displayed:
script error: 
line: 883
Char: 35042 (& 37217)
Error:  Error in loading DLL
Code: 0
URL:  http:\127.0.0.1:62553/app/_js/main-merge.js

8a.  Unable to ascertain creation date from both Installed Updates or Update History.  However Internet Explorer Properties: Details indicated:
Creation Date : 13/05/2011
Date Modified:  22/03/2013

Note:  Update History only showed failed attempts to install latest optional updates for IE10 for Windows 7 for x64 based system.  Accompanying error message said "Error found:  Code 9C48  Windows Update encountered an unknown error"

8b. Update version: 10.0.6 (KB2838727 - unable to find this package in View Installed Updates)
      [Original version was 10.0.9200.16614]

8c.  No problem before the update version was installed.  Lately IE10 has been crashing with the following error message.
"RunDLL
 There was a problem starting c:\Windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl.  The specified module could not be found."

8d. Firefox (deleted), Safari, Chrome

9.  Only my son and I use the computer.  Neither of us havs password protected user account.  

10. I regularly use SUPERantispyware to scan and clean my computer.  It is only open when required and then closed after scanning.
 I only tried to use the other mentioned anti spyware products only when all else failed, However they generally never resolve the problems encountered.

Sorry this didn't help.

1a. When (approx. date) did you do the clean install of Win7?

1b. Are you running Win7 32-bit or Win7 64-bit? See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions

2a. After you completed the clean install of Win7 "last year," how long was the computer connected to the internet before you for AVG Free (I assume) installed?

2b. After you completed the clean install of Win7 "last year," in what order did you do the following?

• Checked for & installed Windows Updates;
  • Restored data backups from the WinXP computer (e.g., Music, Pix, Videos, Documents, IE Favorites; mail data; etc.) to the hard-drive;
  • Checked email or did other browsing and/or downloaded/installed applications you needed (e.g., Windows Live Mail);
  • Got AVG Free (I assume) installed.

3. After you installed MSE on 18 November 2012, how long was it before you uninstalled the AVG application?  [You should have uninstalled the AVG application before you installed MSE - the fact that you didn't may have something to do with your current problems!]

4. Are you telling us the Windows Internet Explorer 10 is not listed in Installed Updates or Update History?

5. What are the KB numbers of the failed "optional updates for IE10 for Windows 7 for x64 based system[s]" listed in Update History?

6. Is Safari, Chrome or Internet Explorer the default Browser?  [Note: Your preferred browser may not be the system's default browser.]

7. Has S*PERAntiSpyware ever detected & removed anything since you're been running Win7 and if so, when (approx. date) was the last time something was detected & removed?  [SAS is an anti-spyware application, not a registry cleaner.]

8. REPOSTING: Are you (or is your son) in the habit of using registry cleaners?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your current Flash Player version is outdated & subject to thousands of security vulnerabilities and I presume you will not be able to install KB2862772 (or, possibly, one or more of the other security updates released today). In fact, you may be seeing the effects of an ongoing "hijackware" infection! As such...

The computer-in-question should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

Hopefully, you have another, unaffected computer you can use to reply to this thread.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

1a: 13 May 2011
  b: Win 7 64 bits

2a: a few hours after
  b:  I think the sequence is as follows
  • check  & install updates
  • restore data
  • install AVG free
  • check email
3:  A few hours after installation

4:  Yes - IE10 is not in View Updates or Update History, whose oldest entry is 23/7/2013.  I therefore could not uninstall IE10 even if I wanted to!!

5:  The optional update was IE 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based system, published 26/6/2013.  The failure code is 9C42.  Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

As well I could not install Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 ... (KB2840628).  Its failure code is 1.

6:  Chrome is my default browser.  IE10 is not listed!

7: Yes, generally Adware Tracking cookies & sometimes PUB.Protector

8:  No - only when all other options to resolve a problem failed.  However they don't help.

By the way can I resolve the issue by using System Restore to restore the system to an earlier date or do I need to go to the extreme step of doing a clean install of Win 7 again to get rid of all the issues.

What precautions do I need to take to prevent the problem recurring?

Thanks

Chars55

Sorry this didn't help.

You should have gotten AVG (or another anti-virus application of your choice) installed within seconds of first connecting the computer to the internet following the clean install on 13 May 2011 and you should have uninstalled the AVG application before you installed MSE on 18 November 2012.

As such, you may be seeing the effects of ongoing "hijackware infection" or worse!

No, System Restore's not gonna fix this.

And especially if IE10's Help | About tab still reads "Update Version: 10.0.6"...

The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello i'm Abhishek Ragbotra.

as you said you'av download "ISO Image" of Office Pro Plus.

direct booting from setup.exe

can't read .dll or boot file Module or trace the location of these files from ISO Image file.

So it have two basic Solutions.

Solution Number 1.

Burn This Image file to CD/DVD

and then Install.

Solution Number 2.

Extract This Image to a File Folder

using WINRAR software or any de-compressing software.

then right click on Setup.exe and click on Run as administrator.

then follow the installation instruction and complete your set up.

Thanks. :)

for any Query or you get any problem then mail me on

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.