Can't Print in Internet Explorer

A couple of weeks ago I lost the ability to print from IE 9...kept getting a script error.  This happened one other time and I solved it by restoring the computer to an earlier point w/o really understanding what went wrong.  I tried that again but now the computer is unable to restore...I tried two different restore points w/o success but will raise the issue with a new question.  I decided to install IE 10 to see if that would solve the problem on my Windows 7 laptop but I got an internal error once and a script error in a second attempt.  I am able to print from all other applications and while I don't use Safari, I have it on the computer and have now verified that I can print from Safari.

Using Autoruns, I checked for missing programs and found that C:\Windows\system32\ie4uinit.exe is missing.  Based on my searching, this program file is part of the operating system, and it is known as the Internet Explorer repair tool.  It appears that this software is considered safe, and is not considered trojan, spyware, or virus related software.  I don't know whether this is the cause of my printing problem or how to reinstall it, if so.  I don't see how to attach a print screen of the errors but they are:

1. "There was an internal error, and Internet Explorer is unable to print this document."

2. "An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line: 2432; Char: 1; Invalid procedure call or argument.  Code: 0; URL: res://ieframe.dll/preview.js"  (This is, by far, the most common error.)

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 11,198 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

It’s unfortunate that you are facing this issue.

From the description, I understand that you are unable to print in Internet Explorer 10.

I would recommend you to follow the below given Methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to try printing in No-Addons mode and check if it helps.

Manage add-ons in Internet Explorer

Method 2: Try printing a webpage running Internet Explorer as an Administrator

Try printing a web page when running Internet Explorer as an Administrator; this can help us to determine if there is a permissions issue.

Note: You must use an account as administrator permission to change account type from Standard to Administrator.

a) Browse to the following location “C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
b) Right click on iexplore.exe and select Run as administrator.

Method 3: Try printing after disabling Protected Mode

Try printing a webpage after disabling Protected Mode, to do this, follow these steps:
a) Click the Tools icon in Internet Explorer
b) Go to Advanced tab and select the Security section and uncheck the checkbox beside Enable Enhanced Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer)
c) Click on Apply, and then click OK.
d) Close all open Internet Explorer windows, and then restart Internet Explorer.
e) Browse to a website and try test printing a page while running as the Administrator.

You can also refer to the links given below.

You receive a script error and are unable to print from

“How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer on Windows-based computers”

These articles also applies to IE10

Method 4:

Hope this information will help you.

For any other Windows related issue, reply to us and we will be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You might also check your printer manufacturer's site for an updated driver.  I had to.

Sorry this didn't help.

None of these suggestions worked.  Keep in mind that I can print from all other applications and from Safari but not IE 9 or 10.  The method for posting a screen shot suggested didn't work either by here is a link to the file in a public folder on SkyDrive.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=6D05074EE5078B5D&id=6D05074EE5078B5D%21665

Sorry this didn't help.

I can print from all other applications and from Safari but not IE 9 or 10.

That's common.   Print to a virtual printer such as XPS Document Writer and then print the resulting .xps file.

Sorry this didn't help.

This failed as well.  I printed (saved) the .xps file, named it, and then tried to print it. I got the following error message from the XPS viewer.  "A printing error has occurred. The XPS viewer cannot print all the pages of this document."

It seems my only choice now is to copy the text in IE, paste it into word, and then print.  This is time consuming...just as this XPS Document Writer option is, but at least it works.

If I don't get a successful resolution to this soon, I may have to start using Safari as my default...hate the idea but this seems like an unresolvable problem.  I had hoped a system restore would fix is as it did some months ago when this first happed.  However, on a separate thread I have been trying to fix the a problem keeping System Restore from working.  A lot of good ideas have been suggested to resolve this problem and none of them work either.

Sorry this didn't help.

This failed as well.  I printed (saved) the .xps file, named it, and then tried to print it. I got the following error message from the XPS viewer.  "A printing error has occurred. The XPS viewer cannot print all the pages of this document."

That is less common.   Have you checked to see which page it occurs on?   E.g. if it is after the last page you would not care.

Also, that diagnostic might be clearer than the script error that IE gives, e.g. be closer to the problem which is probably in the driver.   So, you could see if it is outputting anything else, e.g. search for changed files at that time and see if there is anything readable in them.   You could run ProcMon to help with that analysis.

It seems my only choice now is to copy the text in IE, paste it into word, and then print.

Another option would depend on the capabilities of your printer.   It would actually have been a follow-up suggestion if you had wanted to remove the manual intervention of an XPS workaround:  see if your printer has direct XPS support.   That option is a better workaround that others who have such capability have reported as being an acceptable solution.

Otherwise, can Word do anything with the XPS document directly?   That might be simpler than a Copy and Paste procedure.   Also, what about OneNote, if you have that, it could be an alternate virtual printer and perhaps be able to print by itself, bypassing Word.   Another virtual printer I have but am less sure of its availability is Journal Note Writer.   Windows Journal looks a bit like OneNote.   Anyway, it could print directly too.   Hmm...  or not?   IE on W8 doesn't recognize it?  It does on W7.   It's my workaround there for a problem with XPS and IE10.   ;  )

Good luck

Robert
---

Sorry this didn't help.

None of these suggestions worked.  Keep in mind that I can print from all other applications and from Safari but not IE 9 or 10. 

Did you try no add-ons mode? (Not simply disabling individual add-ons.)

Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, an add-on is causing it. 

To determine which add-on is causing the problem see:
IEBlog  Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e85a03aa-c7c6-428e-9891-67ea76df9b7e1033.mspx

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem, cannot print to any printer, even virtual printers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tommy Welch.  I have tried every solution offered and none of them work.  I think one of the IE or MS updates corrupted something that no one seems to know how to fix.  Up to that point I had no trouble printing from IE or any office application or from Safari.  I am not a Google fan but my solution has been to go to Chrome, which works perfectly. I was able to transfer all my favorites easily and the Norton Websafe login assistant works as well with Chrome as it does with IE.  My only caution is that once you install it, don't remove it.  In the past when I have done this, I had problems with IE that I had to correct by modifying registry changes that Chrome made.  It is a very good idea to have more than one browser anyway so install Chrome and use it anytime you might want to print.  IE can still be used for routine work if you prefer it.  I found significant limitations with Safari so I would avoid that.

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem is very common (we have hundreds of users). No print to ANY printer, physcial and virtual, PLUS no XPS printing. This should work flawlessly without any workaround since all other printing from ANY other browser (Chrome, eg.) works. So...Microsoft...what's the solution?

Sorry this didn't help.