Unable to change temporary internet files disk size, error message: please select a value between 8 and 8 for how much disk space Temporary Internet Files may use

Original Title: temporary internet files disk size set to 0.

I am running windows 7 pro and IE 11. The temporary internet file size has been set to "0", and I am not able to adjust it. I tried move file to different location, and use regedit to change cache size. Reboot computer. Same result. When I change temporary internet files disk size, alsway get error message "Please select a value between 8 and 8 for how mush disk space Temporary Internet Files may use".

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Still old, but I just finished trying to fix the same problem.

The fix that worked for me: (basically manually moving the cache directory, since the Move button didn't work)

From Command Prompt

md c:\temp

md c:\temp\INetCookies

md c:\temp\INetCache

From RegEdit

Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Change "Cache" to "C:\Temp\INetCache"

Change "Cookies" to "C:\Temp\INetCookies"

Logout of Windows

When you log back in, you should be able to change your cache again.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Original Title: temporary internet files disk size set to 0.

Eureka!

I spent a TON of time figuring this out on my wife's Win7 Ultimate SP1 x86 machine.  Ultimately, it was a permissions issue in the registry which I was able to find using ProcMon.  (https://download.sysinternals.com/files/ProcessMonitor.zip or https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor)

High Resolution Date & Time: 2/20/2016 3:45:52.4576258 PM
Event Class: Registry
Operation: RegOpenKey
Result: ACCESS DENIED
Path: HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
TID: 7920
Duration: 0.0000805
Desired Access: Read

Using regedit, make sure you have rights and visibility to this key and its children:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Note that this is NOT HKCU.

In the process of getting to the bottom of this issue, I uninstalled IE11 and then could not reinstall it.  

The following link helped me out of that.  On a 32-bit system, step 0 should be skipped.

https://jingyangli.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/ie11-install-problem-neutral-package-installation-failed-exit-code-0x00003715-14101-and-setup-exit-code-0x00009c59-40025/

BTW, moving the cache and deleting registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0 did not help with this.

Thought I should pass this on.  Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2020 Views 18,164 Applies to:

Related Forums