"This page can’t be displayed"

Hi,

I recently download Windows 8.1 with IE11.

I am having difficulty accessing internet sites. I continually get the "This page can’t be displayed" error.  I have followed all of the recommendations from Microsoft on this problem and have had no success in resolving it. I have spent several hours on this and am thoroughly frustrated by a product that appears to be not fit for use. I have been a long time user of Windows operating systems, but have never experienced such difficulties before. 

Initially when I start the computer, the problem is intermittent, but the more sites I access results in the "This page can’t be displayed" error becoming more frequent until the only way I can access a site is by right clicking on the mouse and left clicking on "Open".

The problem was apparent in Windows 8, but is more severe in Windows 8.1

I believe this is significant problem that needs to be immediately addressed by Microsoft not only for myself, but for the 1000's of other users who have made reference to it. 

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2019 Views 86,505 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ian,

What are the troubleshooting steps that you have tried?

This issue can be caused due to the Internet Explorer settings.

Refer to the steps from the following Microsoft article and check if it helps.

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196/en-us
(Applicable for Internet Explorer 11 as well)

Notes:

Reset Internet Explorer Settings
feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Registry Note
: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry.

While performing Refresh:
The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Hope it helps.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I too have this problem.  Firefox and Chrome work fine in Desktop Mode, and IE 11 works fine in Metro Mode.  But IE 11 gives "This page can't be displayed" in Desktop Mode.

I have tried many "fixes", I can't even remember all of them, here's a few: -

• Disabled / enabled Enhanced Protection Mode.
  • Tried all possible proxy settings.
  • Reset IE 11.
  • Removed IE 11 from Windows features and re-installed it.
  • Disabled all add-ins.
  • F12 developer tools change the browser profile and user agent string.
  • Compatibility View settings, all possible setting combinations.
  • Changed the DNS servers on the network adapter from default to specifiy various free DNS providers (updated)
  • Attempted Fiddler analysis, getting to trace from sites where the problem occurs (updated)

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bellerophon,

Thanks for your response.

Have tried all of your "fixes" without success. I have assiduously followed Mircosoft's recommendations and then some on this without a result.

I shall probably end up in the hands of a computer "expert" which will cost money - all because I followed the "hype" to upgrade to 8.1.

Hope your weekend is an enjoyable one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi IanM-944,

Sadly I appear to have given you the impression that one or other of my list of "fixes" worked for me, when in fact none of them did!

It's gobsmacking that I can view this page in IE 11 in Metro Mode, but when I click the spanner icon at the bottom of the page and select "View on the Desktop" I get "Page Cannot be Displayed".  And all the other browsers work in Desktop Mode.

The only diagnostic info I've got is that when I change my network connection - for instance, change from using my terrestrial broadband provider to using my tethered mobile phone provider - the range of sites effected changes (it's much worse with my mobile phone provider than with my terrestrial provider - but all the other browser continue to work when on the tethered mobile network).  So I'm wondering if there's a timeout type setting somewhere in IE 11 Desktop Mode that's too tight.

Sadly to say also, I am, I suppose, an expert.  But I haven't really got the time to do a deeper dive on this, so I'll restore Win 7 or 8 and go back to an earlier IE.  This year Microsoft is getting close to breaking my will to continue in their field.  So many abominations in their product and service space.  It's just not enjoyable anymore.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bellerophon,

Thanks for your input.

I don't discount my expertise in the computer field. I was around when DOS first started and I am not too old to follow a set of instructions.

I too am like you. I have come to the end of the line with Microsoft and my next computer will be a Mac.

I simply don't have the time or inclination to be chasing up on "fixes" for systems that are supposed to work.

Thanks again. Take care.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try turning off "Enable enhanced protected mode" in IE security settings.  Also, try running IE as administrator.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Running IE as admin is really inappropriate advice.  Wait for the fix.  I am having problems logging into sites but it seemed perfectly fine in another browser.

I think there has been another rush release here but I suppose my fault for feeling sorry about all the hassle I gave during win8 beta.  Should have road tested 8.1 beta myself on something else first!

All we can do with this one is wait for the fix...

I wonder if we can revert.  I liked win8, no one got in as far as I was aware but this feels a little insecure and I suspect some script kiddies have already been sniffing at my machine.

We also need compatibility mode - some win8 apps is broken now!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've already tried turning off EPM and I am running as an administrator, and it still doesn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have find a solution of my problem that was with Google.be

go to the the internet option of ie11 and go to Advanced and uncheck the SPDY/3 and that resolved the problem on my side.

276 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you saying that google is the issue? I just came in to correct my other post (the grr one!) as some of my issues have been solved now and I am not so grr but more hmm which is good. I used to recommend (and still do) that people do not put quicktime on a windows pc because it used to cause **** with XP. It got to a point where I began to think that 'the fruits' were just trying to push people to their products. It might just have been that it was 'leaky'. I hope the chocoholics aren't trying similar tactics. I developed a severe dislike of fruity gadgets due to the quicktime issue. I haven't even tried one - although I do confess to borrowing one on a couple occasions to make calls..

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.