SmartScreen Filter says that it is not commonly downloaded file and it can harm your computer

Original title:"How to distribute setup files on internet without being affected by SmartScreen Filter ? "
Hey Guys

How do you distribute setup files on internet without being affected by Smart Screen Filter?

Every time i provide an updated version and try to download the file from the website, internet explorer 8's SmartScreen Filter says that it is not commonly downloaded file and it can harm your computer.

Now if smartscreen filter recommends not to download an updated version then who is going to download that ? and how developers can provide the updated application ?

Or provide the setup.exe zipped as setup.zip forcing user to uncompress the file and only then use it

Regards

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Method 1:
You may turn off SmartScreen Filter settings and try to distribute setup files on Internet and check:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/turn-off-smartscreen-filter-settings-that-were-recommended-during-Windows-setup
Note: Microsoft SmartScreen Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing websites and websites that distribute malicious software (also known as malware). Microsoft SmartScreen Filter can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:
You may also refer the links provided for more help:
How does SmartScreen Filter help protect my computer from malicious or phishing websites?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-does-SmartScreen-Filter-help-protect-my-computer-from-malicious-or-phishing-websites
SmartScreen Filter: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/SmartScreen-Filter-frequently-asked-questions

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

nops that does not helps.

The question is not about using SmartScreen Filter on my computer & yes it might be helping to detect malicious software.

This Question is about software publishers to publish their software without any type of malicious software & SmartScreen Filter blocks their software downloads all across.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MBh01,

Please see the following article with some information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/03/22/smartscreen-174-application-reputation-building-reputation.aspx

Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

yes i have read what all Microsoft forces software developers

I am sure there would have been better ways in which Microsoft would have implemented this feature.

This way Microsoft is creating panic amongst users

May be SmartScreen filter could have utilised services of online virus scanners such as http://www.virustotal.com

This way Microsoft is asking who came first Chicken or Egg or in technical terms asking developers to gain reputation & prohibiting simultaneously to gain reputation.

Sorry this didn't help.

agreed... this is really freaking some people out... they think it's unsafe to run, when it's really just an update.  You're spreading fear with this silly feature.... all the while giving people a false sense of security... because a malicious file that has been downloaded often will pass.  No bueno.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm starting to understand this more... our problem is actually due to an updated CERT.  It goes by serial number, so whenever you get a new cert/signature for your file, you have to re-build "reputation".  So it's not necessary every new patch... but every time you update a signature.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a way to lookup our "reputation" based on the cert?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, MBh01,

SmartScreen filter has not recommended anything.  It has warned that the file is not commonly downloaded; meaning not many users have downloaded the file. 

What does it mean when I see a message that says a file isn't "commonly downloaded"?

When you download a program from the Internet, SmartScreen Filter will check the program against a list of programs that are downloaded by a significant number of other Internet Explorer users and a list of programs that are known to be unsafe. If the program you're downloading isn't on either list, SmartScreen Filter will display a warning that the file isn't "commonly downloaded." It doesn't necessarily mean the website is fraudulent or that the program is malware, but you probably shouldn't download or install the program unless you trust the website and the publisher.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/SmartScreen-Filter-frequently-asked-questions-IE9

See SmartScreen Filter: Information for administrators and website owners

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/SmartScreen-Filter-Information-for-administrators-and-website-owners

Pat

As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

...but it makes them have to click another button just to be able to download the file.  I can tell you that it is freaking out customers.  Some have even sent requests to be removed from our mailing list, thinking we are providing malicious software. 

...and like I said, it's based on the cert serial number, not a particular program.  We only had the problem when we renewed a cert.  Our previous patches/updates didn't bring up the warning (er "recommendation") even though they were new files and "not commonly downloaded".  This is all very difficult to explain to our customers.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I received the same warning a few days ago but I knew the site and had never had issues with it.  I downloaded anyway.

Taken from the post above:  "It doesn't necessarily mean the website is fraudulent or that the program is malware, but you probably shouldn't download or install the program unless you trust the website and the publisher."

If you'd looked at the topics in the second link I listed, it does tell how to alleviate the issue -

As a website owner or representative, how do I correct a warning or a block on my site?

You can immediately submit a request for a correction. SmartScreen Filter provides a web-based feedback system for customers and website owners to report potential false warnings or blocks as quickly as possible. From a red warning, click Report that this site does not contain threats. This will take you to a feedback page where you can indicate you are a site owner or representative. Follow the instructions and provide the information to submit a website for review.

What can I do to help minimize the chance of my website being flagged by SmartScreen Filter?

There are several things you can do that can help minimize the chance of your website being flagged as suspicious. Here are some of the best practices to use when designing your website:

• If you ask users for personal information, use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certification with a current server certificate issued by a trusted certification authority.

• Make sure that your webpage doesn't expose any cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities. Protect your site by using anti-cross-site scripting functions such as those provided by the Microsoft Anti-Cross Site Scripting Library. To download or get more information, see Microsoft Anti-Cross Site Scripting Library online.

• Use the fully-qualified domain name. All domains should reverse to actual domain names, not numeric IP addresses. This means a URL should look like “microsoft.com” and not “207.46.19.30.”

• Avoid using the @ symbol before the fully-qualified domain name in your URL. The @ symbol is commonly used to create deceptive URLs and is therefore suspicious to SmartScreen Filter.

• Don't encode or tunnel your URLs unnecessarily. If you don't know what this means, you probably aren't doing it.

• If you post external or third-party hosted content, make sure that the content is secure and from a known and trusted source.

• http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/SmartScreen-Filter-Information-for-administrators-and-website-owners

Pat

As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2020 Views 2,957 Applies to:

Related Forums