How Do I Find Internet Explorer and Re-pin To Taskbar and Desktop

I can not find internet explorer on my computer. For some reason I was using Chrome and the windows kept opening up in IE and then I got some message to un-set IE as default. With trepidation I clicked on it as the comp kept opening windows in different browsers. Now I have no IE on the system. No icon and no way to open IE. I followed some repair sequences and of course after the first set the entire sequence was not even available. Predictable. I swiped in and on the Metro I entered Internet Explorer and it was not in the list. Just other references to IE. I looked at the programs and did not see it also. Maybe it was deleted and uninstalled. I don't know. There is no IE icon on the desktop and I can't find it anywhere. Not really a surprise. I have had Win 8 and Win 8.1 since it first was released in 2012 and I still can't find much of anything using the operating system. I would like to re set IE  and make it available. It was my browser of choice but was becoming too clunky and slow in loading lists and searches from my online selling store so I began to use Chrome and Mozilla more but I liked the features in IE so would like to have it back. Thanks for the help

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 1,011 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey! How's going Marc : While you receive a reply from a MC-Moderator. I'd advice you to scroll UP or down in the same question page, until you find another post titled "IExplorer App doesn't open. Always from desktop"

Written by Siddart DM. PS read the replies and apply fixes. If solved your problem-Report results. Bye-from <Pipil> ATTENTION-Marc- Your post went Up after my reply and is 1-Post down after yours. Find it and read it.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and I will certainly help you in the right direction to fix the issue.

This issue can be caused due to corruption in the Internet Explorer or corrupted user account. Let’s try to identify the actual cause and troubleshoot accordingly.

I would suggest you to try the following methods:

Method 1:

Internet Explorer 11 comes inbuilt in Windows 8.1, I would suggest you to turn it Off through “Turn Windows features on or off” and then retry to enable it and check if it helps.

Let’s try the following steps to enable it and check.

a. Press Windows key + X key on the desktop Screen and select Programs and Features.

b. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.

c. If Internet Explorer option is not selected , check the option for Internet Explorer.

d. Click ok and restart the computer.

Method 2:

If issue still persists, then I would suggest you to check if you face the same issue in different user account.

If you create new user account nothing will be lost, it is only the thing that it would be in the other user account which you are using right now. However creating new user account is a diagnostic step, if everything works fine in new user account we can easily move the files and programs to new user account.

So, for now please try to create new Microsoft user account as an administrator from the link provided below. Make sure you should follow the steps mentioned under Create a Microsoft accountand get back to us with the status.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello   ...   I can not find the post you are referring to

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello   ...   Method 1 did not work. Internet Explorer had a check next to it. I removed the check and followed thru and disabled the IE. Then I did the same thing again and put the check next to the Internet Explorer and enabled it and restarted. This did not fix the issue. If IE is on the machine should I see it in the list of programs? It is not and perhaps that is as you say it is built in to Windows. So if it is on my machine I can not find and enable it.   ...   I do not understand Method 2 and am unable to do it  -  it is too complicated.   Thank you for your assistance 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Marc,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status and I appreciate your efforts towards resolving the issue.

Lets make it simpler for you.

Try to create a new user account and check if it helps

To do so, please follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R key, Run window opens.

2. Type control in the open box and click Ok.

3. Control Panel windows opens.

4. Click on User accounts and Family Safety.

5. Click on User Account and then click on Manage Accounts.

6. Now click on Add a new user and follow the instructions. Check if the issue persists in the new user account.

Hope the information is helpful

Please reply with the results, in order to help you fix the issue.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

ATTENTION-Marc Altman. So you couldn't find the post suggested-Ok first go ahead with the latest solution "Posted by Amit" If Not solved the issue. Open this link and apply the most important fixes >>>> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/internet-explorer-app-does-not-opens-always-it/55f8ec4e-217d-487c-9aeb-1bb3e86f678e/ ..and report results to MC. Stay Tuned! <Pipil>

Sorry this didn't help.

Naturally this did not work either. So I created a new user account - Guest Account. Now what do I do. I still see no IE anywhere on this computer. And I do not know what to do or access this new user account. The answer to why is simple though. It is too complicated. I can not do it. If you take me past 2 clicks to a solution to this problem the answer and screens diverge too much to be intelligible. I am content to just use Chrome and Mozilla if this is such a problem I have had problems on my laptops with these and was able to just repair them to default. In the case of Chrome I uninstalled it to remove all the stuff of another user and easily re installed. I do not seem to be able to re install IE as when I tried, the system said it was already on my PC. But I can not find it. Should I maybe close down my 2 online selling accounts for a couple of days and restore this new PC to factory . Will that solve the issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

Remember that question you asked on Microsoft Community a few days ago? 

Title: How Do I Find Internet Explorer and Re-pin To Taskbar and Desktop

We noticed that the question hasn't been marked as Answered yet and we were wondering if you resolved the issue.
No, my question is not answered. Reply to provide an update or ask for more help.
Yes, my question is answered. Mark the most helpful post as the Answer.
Help us improve the community. Take a 1-minute survey on your community experience.
Thanks for being a member of Microsoft Community! 

Sincerely, 
The Microsoft Community Team

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No the issue is not resolved. I am unable to find a solution for the problem and do not have access to Internet Explorer on the computer. I need to either find a solution or restore to factory the computer if this would solve the problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to find a solution to this issue. Now have Internet Explorer on my task bar. I can not seem to find a way to create the shortcut that was previously present on the desktop and is now missing. I tried to drag it to the desk top but that did not work. I looked at some other posts on this and that was one of two solutions to creating a shortcut. I tried both I saw and neither worked.                                ...                               I would like to create a shortcut to Internet Explorer on the desktop.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad that finally you manage to pinned the IExplorer in the "Taskbar" as far as I know is not possible to install an (IExplorer icon on the desktop in Win's 8.1) I guess it was designed in that way. My IE-11 icon is in the taskbar only and also in the Start tiles page.

If your search provider is Google and IExplorer your default browser-When you open the Internet do a right click

in an empty space, find the option shortcut and click on it . Will display a notification asking if you want to create a shortcut in the Desktop- Answer [Yes] close the Internet and you'll see a [Google-shortcut] on the Desktop. Double left click and the internet opens.

So you can kept it or deleted. But the important is that you're able to open the Internet now.  Wait may be a MOD have a method to install a desktop icon, but I doubt. Listen Marc if you're satisfy with the current solution..[PS mark the question as Answered] That's what the MC-Team is asking for above. 

Sorry this didn't help.