HELP!! I can't access .mil sites with internet explorer..

On Windows 10 with the Internet Explorer 11 browser I can not access any .mil sites. Issue from what I've been able to gather is that the security certificate isn't trusted and I cant ignore that warning. For me to be able to then access those sites I need to download the security certificates, however these security certificates are ironically only contained on a .mil website (meaning I cant access that either). 

What can I do to access .mil sites without bumping into security issues with your browser?

Hi Michael,

Certificate errors occur when there's an issue with a certificate or a web server's use of the certificate. Internet Explorer helps keep your information more secure by warning about certificate errors.

To help you resolve your concern, kindly follow these steps:

1. Open your Internet Explorer browser then go to Internet options.
  2. Click on Security tab.
  3. Click on Trusted sites, then click the Sites button.
  4. Under "Add this website to the zone:" URL bar, type the complete URL address.
  5. Click on Add button.
  6. Once you already added all URL addresses, click the Close button.
  7. Click on Apply or OK button then close your Internet Explorer browser.
  8. Restart your computer.

Note: You are unable turn off certificate checking in Internet Explorer. If you receive certificate errors, it means the website you're visiting is having certificate problems and it doesn't indicate a problem with Internet Explorer.

For more information, you may refer to this link.

Should you need further assistance, please let us know.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Already tried that approach, it doesn't work. 

I'm aware that the certificate error means there is an issue with the website I'm visiting, the government moves slowly when it comes to the technology side of things and for months now hasn't done anything to fix the issue and I doubt they will anytime soon.

Your "FAQ" section additionally is misleading:

----------

Can I go to a site even if I get a certificate error?

Yes. While this isn't recommended, you can select Continue to this website (not recommended) on the certificate error warning page to go to the website. If you ignore the warning page and go to a site that's presented a certificate containing an error, Internet Explorer will remember the certificate while you have your browser open. You can return to the site without receiving another warning for that certificate until Internet Explorer is restarted.   

----------

In this tab it says I can continue to the site, however when I get this option, and I click "Continue to this website (not recommended)" I get sent to a page that says the same error but doesn't give me an option to ignore. I'm aware of the risks of the site I'm visiting and don't see why Microsoft still keeps me from accessing it. I should be able to be free to make these decisions if I understand the risks and its very "big brother" of Microsoft to remove this option from me. Not being able to access a single .mil site is crazy, I can't believe this hasn't become a bigger issue yet. 

Someone on customer support should try to visit a .mil site with Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 and test their solution there before offering it to their customers.

*EDIT*

Ok, there are some .mil sites I can access, for example the homepage for http://www.marines.mil/ works ok, but pages like these can't:

https://www.mol.usmc.mil/

https://www.marinenet.usmc.mil/

(https sites)

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your response, Michael.

It would be best to contact the I.T department or developer or the website for better assistance. Hence, we would like to know if you have tried to put the two websites on the Trusted sites tab and check if the same issue persists? If yes, we suggest that you reset the Internet Explorer and recreate the troubleshooting steps we provide and let's see if the same behavior occurs. To reset, go to Settings> Internet options> Advanced> Reset...> Delete personal settings> Reset> Apply> OK> Restart your computer.

Note: Resetting your browser will go back to it's default state.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The website is run by the government, reaching the owner is not possible from my level. Regarding the reset solution I've tried that also and it doesn't work.

Again the issue is that IE doesn't trust the site because it doesn't passback a security certificate and I can't ignore the error. Being that again the site is run by the government there isn't a chance I can get them to change their security setting on all secure .mil sites anytime soon to be at your standards, that being the case I wanted to know if there's a way IE can allow for me to ignore the issue of the security certificate or create a blanket acceptation for .mil sites.

If you don't believe me try just accessing the login pages on windows 10 for these two pages: 

https://www.mol.usmc.mil/

https://www.marinenet.usmc.

If you find a way to access them please tell me how.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your response.

We suggest that you post your query in TechNet forums for advanced troubleshooting steps regarding your concern.

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Raymond,

Thanks for trying, posted something there a couple days ago (still waiting for a response).

If you bring any of these issues up to Microsoft from a IE users perspective here is what I'd want mentioned:

I think I should be able to take my own risks for sites that don't pass a security certificate back, and Internet Explorer if it is unwilling to allow its users to take their own risks on secure/un-secure sites should easily be able to make an exception for a government run .mil site(s) that are behind the times or use different security measures.

Also if anyone else is reading this with the same problem I'd love to know if there's another browser out there that works with windows 10 to access any of these sites, I've tried IE (obviously), Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and TOR.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you get here?

https://militarycac.com/ako.htm 

(BING search for
    ako.org FAQ browser certificate
)

<quote>

If you are receiving a message that AKO is not trusted, you need to update your DoD Certificates

</quote>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 27, 2020 Views 37,198 Applies to:

Related Forums