Getting the error: "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" when trying to save pictures from a web page with IE 10.

I have been having problems with my Modern UI apps, and now I find a perhaps related problem with Internet Explorer 10.

IE 10 from the start screen only (IE10 on the desktop has no problems) can no longer store cookies, and does not remember logins for any web sites.  When I try to save a picture from a web page to my pictures folder, I get an error that the location cannot be found.  If I try a second time, I get the error in the title of this thread.

Can anyone tell me where to access the settings for IE10, so that I can dig in and see what has happened?  I don't know where to look.

Thanks for any help you can give.

And sorry, there doesn't seem to be a topic in the forum that matches this problem.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2019 Views 4,658 Applies to:

Hi Don,

Thank you for posting this query in the Microsoft Community Forums and we are glad to know that you have chosen Windows 8 for your computer!

As per the issue description it seems that you are getting the error message: "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" when trying to save pictures from a web page with the Internet Explorer 10.

I suggest you to try these methods and let’s know the result.

Method 1: Run the Internet Explorer Performance Troubleshooter

A.      Press “Windows Logo” + “W” from the keyboard.

B.      Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”

C.     On the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

D.     Click on “Internet Explorer Performance”.

E.      Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Check if you are still having the issue. Try the next method if the issue persists.

Method 2: To delete browsing history

A.       Press “Windows Logo” + “C” and click on “Settings”.

B.       Click on “Internet Options”.

C.       Under “Delete Browsing History”, click “Delete”.

NOTE: Deleting the browsing history will result in the loss of saved passwords and all the previous browsing history stored in the Internet Explorer.

Method 3: Disable and Re-enable the Internet Explorer 10.

You may try to disable and re-enable the Internet Explorer 10 from “Turn Windows features on or off” and check.

A.       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

B.       Type “Features” in the Search box.

C.       Click on “Turn Windows features on or off”.

D.       Uncheck the box next to “Internet Explorer 10”.

E.       Click “Ok” and restart the computer.

F.       Open “Turn Windows features on or off” again by following the steps: A, B & C.

G.      Check the box next to “Internet Explorer 10”.

H.      Click “Ok” and restart the computer.

Refer this link for more details:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/turn-windows-features-on-off

Now, check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to get back to us for any further issues or queries.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep in mind that this computer also has non-functioning modern UI apps also, and I am suspecting that some kind of internal listing of file locations / path / whatever is messed up.

Also, the desktop browser works fine - this problem only occurs in the Start screen version of IE10.

Here are the results from your suggestions:

- Troubleshooter couldn't identify any problem.

- Delete browser history: Well, one of the main problems is that the browser is not keeping any history! It will not remember any passwords, because it apparently doesn't know where to store them. This is really a strange problem. But anyway, I tried to delete the browser history, but never completed. The round spinner spun for more than 15 minutes next to the word "Deleting." I gave up and closed Internet Explorer. I suspect it was hung up trying to find the browser history.

- Disable and Re-enable IE 10: This made no change. I restarted after removing IE10 and it was gone. Re-enabled it and restarted again, and it behaves exactly the same - Desktop version works fine, Start menu version doesn't remember passwords and cannot find the pictures folder to save files.

I wonder, is there any way for me to call someone who really knows the workings of the modern interface? It seems like someone at Microsoft would read about this and say "Of course!" and know exactly what is happening.

Don Mannino
ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd gen
Thinkpad T500
3 custom desktops

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem, like the other poster absolutely none of these solutions worked.  Any answers yet?  

Using: MS Surface Pro, Windows 8

Thank you, Don Holt.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same error message, and passwords also not being kept. Also, could save pictures from anywhere last night, but now the very same pictures have this error message or come up as untitled rather than with a file name. Only different thing since the error began was the installation of Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.155.2492.0), which finished when I turned on my computer today.

Sorry this didn't help.

Correction: Another update was waiting to be installed but had to be done so manually apparently. Problem fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Was that Windows optional update (KB2862768)?

Sorry this didn't help.

Happened to me also with IE11. It turns out that this is a result of "Protected mode" being turned on. At least you can try to turn it on/off and see if that would help. Next question, of cource, how secure is IE with this feature turned off.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250462(v=vs.85).aspx

Sorry this didn't help.