can't organize web favorites - When I try to organize my Favorites, Internet Explorer freezes

every time i click 'organize favorites' through IE, IE freezes. the only way i can organize my favorites is through my profile c:/users...

also, when i try to 'add to favorites' through IE, rarely does the URL link get saved, but rather a link starting with c:/users... so i have to check each time i try to add a new favorite & make sure the URL actually saved.

pls help!! thanks

NEW INFO - i use Win 7, IE 8 vers. 8.0.7600.16385 256-bit (default browser)

Answer
Answer
<quotes>
> every time i click 'organize favorites' through IE, IE freezes.

> the only way i can organize my favorites is through my profile c:/users...

> also, when i try to 'add to favorites' through IE, rarely does the URL link get saved, but rather a link starting with c:/users... so i have to check each time i try to add a new favorite & make sure the URL actually saved.
</quotes>

These symptoms are not necessarily related and you haven't disclosed your OS so it is harder to make suggestions in terms of repair.

However, you have given a clue that it is  *not*   XP that you are using, so you may be able to use the new Location tab in Favorites Properties to move your Favorites folder or restore it as a default.

First make sure that you know where the Favorites are thought to be currently.   E.g. Run...  (press Win-R and enter:)

shell:Favorites

Then back up one level and check the Properties of  *that*  Favorites folder.   That's where you can see the Location tab and its new repair functionality.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi n_toxic_ated,

-      Since when are you facing this issue?

-      Did you make any changes to the computer before this issue started?

-      Do you have any third party toolbar installed on your computer?

However, you may follow the steps below and check if it helps you fix the issue.

Method 1

Check for any third party toolbar installed on your computer and try to remove it and check if you can organize favorites with Internet Explorer freezing.

Method 2

Run Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode and check if it works fine.

An error may occur if an add-on is damaged or if an add-on conflicts with Internet Explorer. To verify the same, run IE in no add-ons mode.

1.    Go to Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

2.    Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). Internet Explorer opens without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.

3.    Test Internet Explorer to verify that it works correctly.

If no errors occur, the problem is caused by one of the add-ons that typically load together with Internet Explorer. In this case

Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the issue. 

1.    Open Internet Explorer.

2.    Click Tools, and then click Manage Add-ons.

3.    On the Show drop-down menu, select All add-ons to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer.

4.    For each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable in the Information window.

5.    When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.

6.    Exit and then restart Internet Explorer.

7.    If issues do not reoccur, repeat steps 1 through 3.

8.    Click Enable for a single add-on.

9.    Repeat steps 6 through 8 until you determine which add-on causes errors to occur.

Method 3 

You may access the link below and follow the steps in the article and try to reset Internet Explorer and check if it helps you fix the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 2,141 Applies to:

Related Forums