Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

Hi got hp laptop use Windows 10 M.E changed my password to a pin number now I cannot remember my letter password it won't let me reset it says I need a USB password recovery disc which I never did one. Still got my pin number is this going to be a problem can I fix this?

***Title modified from forgot passworad on windows 10?***

Hello Aliboy66,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Are you using a Microsoft Account or a Local Account?

We totally understand how important it is for you to recover your Microsoft account password. I would suggest you to sign in to your PC using the pin number as its working fine. However, you can reset your password by following the steps listed below:

• Go to the Reset your password page and choose the reason you need your password reset and click on Next.

• Enter the email address and your phone number you used when you created your Microsoft account.

• Enter the characters you see on the screen and click on Next.

• If you have security info on your account, we'll send a one-time code to the alternate phone number or email address you gave us. After you enter that code on the next screen, you'll be able to make a new password.

If you are using a Local Account to sign in to your PC, you may refer to an article on Reset your Windows 10 local account password.    

You may also refer to the following article for additional information -

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi thanks for your help, just want to make sure when I log on to my laptop it lets me log in with a pin number no problem when I tried my actual password it won't log in but once I log in with a pin and then go to Microsoft website my password works there to get on, but when I first turn on my laptop and my screen is up with my name cant not log in with password only pin number which I set up years ago I don't wont to mess this up 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply, Aliboy66.

As you are able to sign in to Microsoft website using the same password after login, I would suggest you to reset your password online and check if the same happens. You may use the link provided above to reset the password. If that doesn’t work, kindly check with the steps listed below and see if it works:

Method 1: Use the On-Screen keyboard (OSK) from Ease of Access on your login screen and check if it works. For more information, you may refer an article on Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK).  

Method 2: If OSK doesn’t help, you may create a new user profile and see if the issue persists. To create a new user profile, you may refer to an article here.

Kindly get back to us with the results, we are looking into this for you and we will be glad to assist you if the issue persists.

Regards,

Mala S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi followed your instructions signed out signed back in with pin first no problem signed back into Microsoft  web page with the new password no problem signed back out logged off this time signed in with the new password  and I got this message 

This feature requires recoverable media such as a USB flash drive and then try again.

Not sure what to do what I forgot to say that there is 4 of as using this laptop with all our own passwords and logging names  I don't want to make up another account and lose my work?  thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the following questions:

1. Does your PC sign in when the other users login with their password?

2. Have you tried On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to sign in?

Kindly help us with the above questions to narrow down the issue. We await your response.

Regards,

Mala S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, the other people using the laptop have no trouble. Have had a development log on to my laptop got an error message from  Microsoft saying "some of your accounts require attention!" there was a link that sent me to control system and I changed my password again but made no difference what next

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thanks for your help I made another account up and manage to change password   now I can log in with password now the only thing now is that ME and chrome have cleared all my passwords ow well can only laugh??? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delay in response.

Glad to know that you were able to sign in with your password on a new user account. At times, when the user profile is corrupt, these scenarios occur. Also, as it’s a different account, you will not have your passwords saved in it. Now that your account is safe, you may choose a password and save it for further use.

However, to keep your account safe, I would recommend taking a look at the following support article:

Please feel free to contact us back, in case you face any other issues in future.

Regards,

Mala S

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 7,633 Applies to: