"Some data cannot be cleared"-Edge on Windows 10- (5/29/17)

Message "Some data couldn't be cleared. Please try again" in Edge on Windows 10. If I uncheck "Browsing History", message does not appear-displays "All Cleared". Recheck "Browsing History", message "Some data couldn't be cleared. Please try again" reappears. Nothing shows in history screen. Have checked ALL boxes in "what to clear". Cleared history. Have unchecked all boxes in "what to clear "and cleared history, rechecked all, cleared history and message continues to appear, unless "Browsing History" box is unchecked when clearing.

Have logged onto Microsoft and there is no history showing there. I have unchecked everything I can on the Web-No Cortana (turned off), no tracking, no location info, said "no" to everything possible. No history showing on Web at Microsoft. Yet, message, "Some data couldn't be cleared. Please try again" still appears. 

I have logged off and back on. I have restarted Windows 10. Message continues to appear. 

Does anyone know what's happening?

Please note date-5/29/17. 

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer
Answer

To answer your question, here's the steps on how to reinstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10:

1. Close the Microsoft Edge browser, if it’s running.
  2. Open up File Explorer, click on View and then put a check on Hidden items box to view all hidden folders. This is required as some folders like AppData are hidden by default.
  3. Navigate to the following location:
    • C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages. Note: Replace the Username with your user name.
  4. Look for the folder named Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and delete it. When you press or click on Delete, you might get the confirmation dialog. Click on Yes button.
  5. You will see the following dialog with Preparing to recycle from Packages message. It might take about 10 minutes to discover all items in that folder.
    • You might see the following dialog with Do you want to permanently delete this folder? The folder contains items whose names are too long for the Recycle Bin message. Simply click on Yes button.
    • Windows 10 will take a couple of minutes to delete this. If you get the following dialog with Are you sure you want to delete it? message, click on Yes. If it refuses to delete some files, click on Skip.
  6. Close all running apps and restart your PC.
  7. Launch PowerShell as administrator. This can be done by typing PowerShell in start menu or taskbar search box, right-clicking on PowerShell entry and then click on Run as administrator option.
  8. Once that the PowerShell is launched, navigate to your user account’s directory by executing the following command and please take a note that you should change the username with your actual user name of your account:
    • cd C:\users\username.
  9. Finally, copy and paste the following command in the prompt and then press the Enter key:
    • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}
  10. Once the command is executed successfully, you will see Operation completed for message.
  11. Close the PowerShell and restart your computer once again.

Note: We recommend that you create a system restore point before trying out this procedure on your computer.

Let us know if that helped you to resolve the issue.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2020 Views 8,408 Applies to:

Related Forums