Screen flickers when watching full screen YouTube on Microsoft Edge as well as doing other things.

Ever since my computer updated and I got the creator's update for Microsoft Edge installed (the one with the new tabs system and other features), I've had problems with my monitor flickering. For example, when I tried watching a YouTube video full screen, it started to flicker. Even scrolling down the Microsoft page to find links caused it to flicker. When I pressed the bottom right button on the screen to get to my desktop, my screen flickered. How do I stop the flickering?

I did not have problems with flickering before the update, and my graphics card has the latest drivers installed.

Hi,

We appreciate your effort to provide us details about your issue. Just to verify, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far? Have you tried to reset Microsoft Edge? If not yet, here are the steps on how to reset it:

1. Turn “off” Device Sync Settings (Settings > Accounts > Sync your Settings > Sync Settings).

2. Open File Explorer and complete these steps:

a. In C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages, select and delete the following folder: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe (Select “Yes” on any confirmation dialog that follows.)

b. In %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\metastore, delete meta.edb, if it exists.

c. In %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\remotemetastore\v1, delete meta.edb, if it exists.

3. Restart your PC (Start > Power > Restart).

4. Turn “on” Device Sync Settings (Settings > Accounts > Sync your Settings > Sync Settings).

5. Search for “PowerShell” using Cortana.

6. Right-click the “Windows PowerShell” result, then select Run as administrator.

7. Copy the following command, then Paste it in the PowerShell window and press Enter to run it:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

8. When the command completes, Restart your PC (Start > Power > Restart).

Edge should launch again after your PC restarts, and your favorites and other synced settings should return after a while.

Please keep in mind that this process may result in data loss, including the loss of your favorites, settings, browser history, installed extensions, or other things maintained in your browser.

We look forward to your response.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the exact same problem after installing creators update on Lumia 640 LTE. Playing YouTube videos in Edge causes the screen to flicker continuously. I did a full reset of the phone but the problem persisted. How was this software tested by Microsoft and insiders when it affects even the hardware built and sold by Microsoft?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is my solution, and it worked for me. For anyone outthere, and have tried other options, but still can't make it work. 

My problem: 

After a windows 10 update in May, 2018. Whenever i wanted to watch a video in fullscreen mode it would cause a flickering screen making it hard to close the window, and the laptop itself. It was annoying.

Unuseful advice out there:

I tried so many advice from youtube, and blog post but they did not work for me. I know of the "taskbar" solution and disable two services". i have tried even to uninstal my display adapter in device manager. it did not work either. 

The solution

This solution have been tested, and i tried to watch videos in fullscreen mode and the flickering issue does not appear any longer.

The proces:

1. I went to my intel support site for my laptop model (asus). to find the driver software that would replace my graphics adapter.

Link for software website to any laptop brand  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html 

2. Go to your software website, and for me it was "asus". I then pressed "enter download center" for drivers and manuals. 

3. Enter you laptop model, where it's asked you to do so. When you have done that. it shoved me on the right this option: "driver & utility".

4. I pressed on that option, i got to a new site on the website where i should select my OS. I chose windows 10 64-bit.

5. (Final step): it showed my all avaiable drivers for: VGA (choose this!), Bios, audio, lan, card reader,  touch pad, etc. 

I chose, and downloaded the VGA file in a zip file. I made it to a folder file, and then opened it, and pressed the SetUp file. Follow the instructions of the windows that pops up, and then wait a bit. and it probably will ask yuo to "restart" when its done. 

That's it. It worked for me, and i had to come up with this on my own. 

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When ever i'm watching a YouTube video and i'm full screen, it flickers black than goes back to normal, and does it again, why does this happen? Please tell me!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup, I have the same problem after Windows forcefully updated itself. Like FFS how can you break my computer with your stupid update? Rule number 1 of updates is always never cause regressions. This is just awful. Thanks Microsoft, and you still wonder why nobody likes Windows but are forced to use it due to vendor lock-in.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When ever i'm watching a YouTube video and i'm full screen, it flickers black than goes back to normal, and does it again, why does this happen? Please tell me!

Same thing is happening to me?? Whenever I watch a video in full screen almost all the screen goes black and i have to close the tab somehow or shut down and restart the computer...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go onto a google browser, click the three dots on the top left of the screen, click settings. On the bottom of the page there should be advanced settings, click that and than click "reset settings" It will get rid of all of your passwords and settings that you have so I suggest to save your passwords on paper than click it and boom, its gone forever, it worked for me so it should work for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go onto a google browser, click the three dots on the top left of the screen, click settings. On the bottom of the page there should be advanced settings, click that and than click "reset settings" It will get rid of all of your passwords and settings that you have so I suggest to save your passwords on paper than click it and boom, its gone forever, it worked for me so it should work for you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2021 Views 22,217 Applies to:

Related Forums