MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe

My virus protection keeps finding this file. Says the executable MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe  is looking for my credit cards. Knows the nicknames of my accounts. changed passwords and still looking, this file is still looking at my account files. My credit cards have been used by someone and replaced 3 times in the past 3 months. Even though I have changed the passwords and my security codes. Is online banking just not safe? I have used the encryption that comes with edge for my accounts. Is there a way to remove this .exe? Changed the name on my accounts but still this .exe came up with the new nicknames.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2019 Views 16,767 Applies to:

Hi Lori,

Microsoft Edge Content Process (MicrosoftEdgeCP) is a Windows system file which is digitally signed by Microsoft. In some cases, a malware masks itself as MicrosoftEdgeCP. For us to troubleshoot the issue, we suggest performing these steps:

1. Check if there are any background processes in Task Manager associated with the file. In this way, we're able to locate where the file is located. To do so, right-click on your taskbar and click Task Manager. Under Processes, look for MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe, then right-click on it and select Open file location. The file location should be at C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe. If it's on a different file location, there's a possibility that a malware is trying to duplicate the application.
  2. Run DISM. This tool can resolve and prepare Windows images. Here's how:
    A. Run Command Prompt as an administrator.
    B. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, then press Enter.
    C. Restart your computer.
  3. Reset Microsoft Edge through Windows PowerShell by following these steps:
    A. From the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell. Right-click on it and click Run as administrator.
    B. Type this command: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}. The command will delete and re-register the Microsoft Edge data.

Get back to us with the result.

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks. Used Powershell as admin with DISM.exe command from 2.B. It worked perfectly.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.