Edge won't open local html file

I'm testing a hypertext story, saved on my hard drive as an html file, on different browsers before submitting it to a webzine. It opens just fine in Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer, but in Edge I only get a blank black screen. Is this just a problem with Edge reading local files (ie, something that won't matter once the story is online), or is Edge less robust than its predecessor? 

I would appreciate any troubleshooting tips anyone might have. Thanks!

Also, the file was made using Twine 2.1.3.

* Moved from IE11

Hi Gabriel,

Your idea about opening local HTML file in Microsoft Edge can be beneficial to others who share the same sentiment as yours.

You can submit your issue using the Feedback Hub, so we can do a further investigation on this. Submitting your feedback in Windows Feedback hub will help us gather information regarding your concern so we can determine what's causing the issue. Your feedback will also help collate bugs and known issues, as well as the suggestions that will help improve the Windows operating system. Using the collected data, the engineers will come up with an update that will improve Windows operating system.

In order to submit a new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for "Feedback Hub" in Cortana search, and then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, and then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and then choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
  5. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My Feedback at the top, and then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you submitted, and then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, and then paste the link in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/ link>).

Regards.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your typically useless response Microsoft Agent (insert name here).

I use a blank black page for my home page, Up until the last security updates to V1709  it opened fine. Now I get "ms-appx-web://microsoft.microsoftedge/assests/errorpages/dnserror.html?ErrorStatus=0x800C0011"

My page is as follows and is named "Blankblackpage.html".

<html>
<head>
<title>Blank Black Page</title>
<style>body {background-color: black;}   
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sqrly,

I just started having the same problem only a few days ago.  I wasn't sure what the cause was, so I decided to disable all my Edge extensions.  Suddenly, my local HTML files would load.

I narrowed it down to the AdblockPlus extension.  When I have it enabled, I get the same result as you:

"ms-appx-web://microsoft.microsoftedge/assests/errorpages/dnserror.html?ErrorStatus=0x800C0011"

When I disable it, my local HTML files render/display fine.

I'm going to poke through the Adblock Plus settings to see if I have something locked down too tightly.

If you don't have Adblock Plus, then there could be a conflict with another Edge extension.  Try disabling them to see if your local HTML file will load.

UPDATE:

I found this problem posted in Adblock Plus's forum too (two reports since Friday, 6/1):

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57034

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57005

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Ryan,

I had same result here, turned off ABP and my local file loaded fine.

I started a new thread on the ADP forums.

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57061

I use Edge for websites that I must log into which means tracking is a non issue on them.

I use FF when I wish for at least some privacy.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2020 Views 5,133 Applies to:

Related Forums