Where does the MS Edge save the bookmarks/favorites on local Hard Disk?

Hi Everyone!

Whenever I saved a website into MS Edge favorites, I didn't see that website was saved in the Favorites folder in the user account path "C:\Users\User account\Favorites". The Vise Versa is correct, which means whenever copying my favorites from a local favorites folder already created manually from a previous MS Explorer Browser, and then pasted them into Favorites folder, I didn't see that favorites being shown in the MS Edge favorites.

As a result, I realized that this path "C:\Users\User account\Favorites" is only dedicated to MS Explorer browser favorites. 

* Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category

* Moved from Desktop, Start & Personalization

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2019 Views 62,719 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

You're correct! The path "C:\Users\User account\Favorites" is now dedicated only for Internet Explorer browser favorites. Microsoft Edge is now using an Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) to store your Favorites. To check the path where your Microsoft Edge favorites are saved, you can open the Windows File Explorer and navigate to the following path:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default

In addition, if you will import your Favorites from other browsers into Microsoft Edge, follow the steps on this link.

Feel free to post back for an update and let us know if you need more help.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

You're correct! The path "C:\Users\User account\Favorites" is now dedicated only for Internet Explorer browser favorites. Microsoft Edge is now using an Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) to store your Favorites. To check the path where your Microsoft Edge favorites are saved, you can open the Windows File Explorer and navigate to the following path:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default

In addition, if you will import your Favorites from other browsers into Microsoft Edge, follow the steps on this link.

Feel free to post back for an update and let us know if you need more help.

Thanks a lot,

But when I checked that path where MS Edge saves its favorites, I found that Favorites folder is empty although there are some websites added/shown in the MS Edge favorite while on it.

So, are the bookmarks/favorites invisible version on the MS Edge favorites folder where is the path above?

***The real leader is the one who helps others.***

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Best regards.

Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30-3.60Ghz 16 Gb Ram - SSD - 240Gb - HDD 1TB y 500Gb- Nvidia GTX 1050 - 2 Gb.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Best regards.

Hi,

Thanks a lot,

But I really when checking the "favorites" folder as stated in yours photo above, I found these points need to be addressed:

1- When deleting any website icon added into favorites folder from inside the favorites folder through Windows explorer, then I didn't see it being deleted from the MS Edge browser favorites although it is no longer exist in the favorites folder. The vise versa(When deleting any website added in the favorite within the MS Edge browser, I didn't see it being deleted from the favorite folder in the Windows Explore) . Though I have closed the MS Edge Browser, and reopened it. Is the favorite folder in Windows Explorer and MS Edge browser favorites are not synchronized with each other?

2- If I had manually copied the favorite folder of the exiting Windows 10 installation, and pasted it into the same path of the favorites folder of a new fresh Windows 10 installation , then that would have worked well on the new  Windows 10 MS Edge ? 

***The real leader is the one who helps others.***

Sorry this didn't help.

But I really when checking the "favorites" folder as stated in yours photo above, I found these points need to be addressed:

1- When deleting any website icon added into favorites folder from inside the favorites folder through Windows explorer, then I didn't see it being deleted from the MS Edge browser favorites although it is no longer exist in the favorites folder. The vise versa(When deleting any website added in the favorite within the MS Edge browser, I didn't see it being deleted from the favorite folder in the Windows Explore) . Though I have closed the MS Edge Browser, and reopened it. Is the favorite folder in Windows Explorer and MS Edge browser favorites are not synchronized with each other?

2- If I had manually copied the favorite folder of the exiting Windows 10 installation, and pasted it into the same path of the favorites folder of a new fresh Windows 10 installation , then that would have worked well on the new  Windows 10 MS Edge ? 

I'm sorry that we didn't make it clear, but....

Modern versions of Edge no longer store their favorites as files and folders like you've become accustomed to.  Instead, they are now stored in a database.  So, that means that you can't use the File Explorer to copy (or otherwise manage) your favorites anymore.  Copying the entire database structure from one PC to another is possible, but has issues when copying between different versions of Windows.

No, the two favorites (IE and Edge) are not normally synchronized (although there is a way to this with the latest version of Windows 10)

There is a free 3rd-party application that can help you manage your Edge favorites database.  So, let us know if you're interested

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The new way of saving/managing favorites is a complete disaster for users. Within Edge the favorites are supposedly stored in an obscure folder about 9 layers deep (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default) so it's impossible to find. Sure, that makes much more sense than C:\User\Favorites... brilliant! 

To make matters worse, when you actually locate that 9-layer-deep folder and drill down to it in Explorer the folder is (ta-da!) empty.  So all of the favorites I imported into Edge and subsequently added are nowhere to be found. Like D.B. Sweeney they supposedly once existed but cannot be found.

I am now trying to copy my Favorites folder from one Windows 10 PC to another but it's virtually impossible because although I can see them in Edge, I cannot actually physically find them on the hard and make them usable on my new Windows 10 PC.  I cannot believe Microsoft finds this to be an advantage over the way Favorites were able to be managed in IE.  No wonder so many people--including me very soon--are using Chrome.

Is there a sensible solution to this disaster? If so please share it.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Within Edge the favorites are supposedly stored in an obscure folder about 9 layers deep (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default) 

You've just got ahold of some old information.... as modern versions of Edge store Favorites in a database.

Is there a sensible solution to this disaster? If so please share it.

I'd recommend that you use a free 3rd-party application called EdgeManage.   It makes it easy to manage your Edge favorites (import, export, rename, edit, sort, move, etc)

Take a look at the following article to see if this is something that you'd be interested in:

http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem with Edge is that from time to time my favorites simply vanish.  "Something happens" - I suspect maybe an automatic Windows Update, but other events might also be responsible - and favorites that I have saved are gone and cannot be found anywhere on the system.

I see that the EdgeManage app claims it can backup and restore favorites, so I will give that a try. My only other option is to go to Chrome.  This loss of favorites in Edge has happened to me multiple times since my upgrade to Windows 10; I have lost count how many  times.  It makes the browser worthless for long-term use.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a favorites folder there but it is empty.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is exactly where Edge favorites are stored. I had alot of trouble finding them too, and they have very strange file names. 

Also, I'm not 100% sure you can just copy/paste them into a new windows install, but I will soon find out. I'll update this when I know for sure.

c:\users\%username%\appdata\local\packages\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ac\microsoftedge\user\default\datastore\data\nouser1\120712-0049

40 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.