Uninstall Microsoft Edge

I've attempted to jump through multiple hoops to attempt to remove this app, but nothing works.

I don't want Microsoft Edge on my computer. At all. We used to have the option to remove it but now it's forced onto me and is making a lot of things difficult. I really want it and its f1 key binding gone.

I've attempted; Renaming the folder to "old" so it would be deactivated. Now I just have two folders I can't delete as it cloned itself to make a new one. Even more room taken up.

Another attempt moments before submitting this question was removing the permissions from TrustedInstaller and placing them onto my administrative account in order to remove it personally. Doesn't work. At all.

All of the online tutorials have not helped me one bit, one of them just introduced even more bytes being consumed by an app I don't ever use. All of them came before 2018.

I'd very much appreciate assistance for getting rid of this permanently. And removing its binding to the f1 key. I don't want it at all.

I look forward to some help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2019 Views 4,875 Applies to:

Hi,

Microsoft Edge is one of the built-in apps that cannot be removed on the same way how we normally remove apps. In line with this, if you still want to remove the app, I suggest that you use Windows PowerShell. Before you uninstall the app, make sure no other programs are running aside from Windows PowerShell (Admin).

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and S at the same time, type powershell and click Windows PowerShellType in the following command: get-appxpackage *edge*
  2. You’ll be able to see the detail location of your Microsoft Edge.
  3. Type “remove-appxpackage” in the Powershell window. Hit the Space button on your keyboard. Then copy the address next to the item PackageFullName and paste it after the command you just typed in. This should remove the app.

Furthermore, we're committed to making the Edge browser for Windows 10 a great experience for you. Should you have requests, ideas, and suggestions, you can send it to our developer team by posting on our Feedback hub page. To use the Feedback Hub app to report a problem, follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem button, share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you have submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey!

I ran into a problem using powershell and attempting to remove edge. I closed all apps except powershell, etc. An error still occurred.

I pasted the error message in pastebin at this link; https://pastebin.com/E8t19gLJ

Thank you for helping me, by the way. I was a bit worried I wouldn't get any.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for getting back to us. Can you please provide me the exact error here? On what part of the steps provided you get the error message? Here's how to include a screenshot in your post.

I'm looking forward to your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, here we go.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This could happen if you have the latest Windows 10 update. Since this is a built-in app and you want to use your preferred browser, you can disable your Edge browser instead of removing it. Here is how you can do it:

1. On your File Explorer, go to C:\Windows\SystemApps. Highlight the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder. 
  2. Right-click the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and click Rename. 
  3. Rename the folder and click Continue.

This will disable the app but it will remain on your computer. To change your default browser in Windows 10.

1. Select the Start  button, and then type Default app settings.
  2. In the search results, select Default app settings.
  3. Under Web browser, select the browser currently listed, and then select the browser of your choice.

Let me know how it goes.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I disabled the app previously. When windows pushes another update, I'm left with two folders; One I still cant delete, and the new Edge folder.

The one on the bottom is identical to the above one, but it has "old" at the end. I cannot delete it now that there's a new edge folder, so I have two folders now creating 47mb of space on my computer. As a semi-professional digital artist, even that can start to become a big issue for running things.

Is there any way to fix this second issue, or am I just stuck with cloning folders?

Thanks.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Edge is part of the core components in Windows 10. It was included since we introduced Windows 10 from the very first version 1511. The workaround that I've provided worked from the previous version, however it seems that the option did not work on the latest update. To find out which version of Windows your PC is running, press Windows logo key+R, type winver, then select OK.

Moreover, I highly suggest that you change your default browser to use your preferred app.

Feel free to post back should you have further concerns.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Can I ask one more question related to all this, then?

Is there a way I can disable the f1 help key setting? The f1 key is bound to a lot of games I play as a attack function, etc. I often find myself pressing f1 and having the game tab out to Microsoft Edge and causing me to lose the level (mostly boss battles). Is there a way to simply disable the shortcut, rather going through the whole thing to change all function keys so they have to use fn + that key? (Because then that makes volume control kinda annoying.)

Thank you for your help.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a way I can disable the f1 help key setting? The f1 key is bound to a lot of games I play as a attack function, etc. I often find myself pressing f1 and having the game tab out to Microsoft Edge and causing me to lose the level (mostly boss battles). Is there a way to simply disable the shortcut, rather going through the whole thing to change all function keys so they have to use fn + that key? 

I think this article may help.... (I haven't tried it myself)

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-f1-key-help-windows-10/

·

Sorry this didn't help.