Edge Favorites list - 2 lines wastes space

First-  Where the heck do we specify Edge for the Category or IE version?  Its NOT THERE!

How do I set my favorites list to 1 line?  This is nothing but a waste of space. 

[Moved from IE11]

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2019 Views 1,071 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I've moved your question to the Edge forum at

Windows
   Apps on Windows 10
     Microsoft Edge

The Edge forum has been difficult to find for many users.

By "Favorites list" do you mean the Favorites Bar?

Don

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Don-

Thank you for pointing me to the right forum.

I guess it is called the "hub".   The Favorites bar is one of the folders in this list that pops down when clicking on the icon next to the star.  Regardless of its name, the list is made up of an icon on the left followed by the description and url of the item.

I don't need the urls and there is a whole line of blank space between each entry.  This is incredibly wasteful of precious vertical space, which is made even more scarce in these days of landscape oriented monitors.

Fire up IE.  CLick on the star.  Note the size of the items in the list.

Do the same thing here in Edge.  They take up 3x the height.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Regardless of its name, the list is made up of an icon on the left followed by the description and url of the item.

I don't need the urls and there is a whole line of blank space between each entry.  This is incredibly wasteful of precious vertical space, which is made even more scarce in these days of landscape oriented monitors.

I don't see a way to change this.

By leaving this thread unanswered, someone else may present a solution they've found.

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

I was about to start trying out Edge again after the latest build update.  One look at the Favo(u)rites list (I am in the UK and that's how we spell it!) was enough to make me go back to IE.  How anyone in Microsoft could sign off a feature that wastes such valuable space without providing an option to disable it amazes me.  I also can't see an easy way to synchronize Favourites between Edge and IE. Surely one should be able to point both browsers to a single folder? 

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I love the Web Note feature in Edge, however double line in favorites kills it for me! I see there is no double line in Edge favorites in all newer Win10 installations. Mine has been upgraded from Win8 on first day 10 was released. There is no help from Microsoft of what needs to be done to remove the second line - I hope it is NOT OS reinstallation. C'mon Microsoft - it's about time you provide a solution!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I love the Web Note feature in Edge, however double line in favorites kills it for me! I see there is no double line in Edge favorites in all newer Win10 installations. Mine has been upgraded from Win8 on first day 10 was released. There is no help from Microsoft of what needs to be done to remove the second line - I hope it is NOT OS reinstallation. C'mon Microsoft - it's about time you provide a solution!

Could you perhaps post a "screen shot" of what you're seeing.... I'm finding it difficult to visualize what the problem is

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not really a double line, more a case of extra space being applied before and after (i.e. above and below) the text.  This is similar to the way Microsoft sets the default font in normal.dot in Word.  It's the first thing I always change whenever I install Word.  Microsoft always puts extra points before or after (I can't remember which) the text making it look as though it is double line spaced. 

I use the Favo(u)rites bar a lot. I have it always open and have a series of topic folders on it.  One click on a folder and it displays a vertical list of all my individual shortcuts for each topic below it. There can be a least a dozen.  I would love to be able to reduce the vertical space between each entry.  In IE there is no issue!  Not all progress is good Microsoft!  Managing my Favourites in this way is far quicker than the default way in Edge which is cumbersome and clumsy in my opinion.

The same problem can exist on the Windows 10 taskbar.  Again, I have shortcut small icons for about 20 programmes on the taskbar (I only ever use Desktop mode).  Again the normal Microsoft arrangement wastes lots of space between the icons but in this case there is an excellent third party utility called Taskbar Tweaker that actually allows that space to be reduced, squeezing the icons together. Now if someone could create a utility to do this for Edge then that would be brilliant!   

Sorry this didn't help.

I use the Favo(u)rites bar a lot. I have it always open and have a series of topic folders on it.  One click on a folder and it displays a vertical list of all my individual shortcuts for each topic below it. There can be a least a dozen.  I would love to be able to reduce the vertical space between each entry.  In IE there is no issue!  Not all progress is good Microsoft!  Managing my Favourites in this way is far quicker than the default way in Edge which is cumbersome and clumsy in my opinion. 

I might suggest that you not use the horizontal Favorites BAR in this manner...  

Instead of putting all of your favorites/folders on the horizontal Favorites Bar, I might suggest that you keep just a few of your most frequently-used favorites on the horizontal Favorites BAR.  And then leave the bulk of your favorites/folders in the vertical Favorites PANE.

For example, I have 11 favorites on my horizontal Favorites BAR (with no folders!) and about 400 favorites (with dozens of nested folders) on the vertical Favorites PANE.

If you want, you can "pin" the vertical Favorites PANE open, so that it is always visible... so that you can the same functionality as what you're doing now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I should have perhaps added that I also have lots of folders separate from the Favourites bar each with many links.  These tend to be url's that I use less often.  I haven't actually tried keeping the Favourites open and pinned but can see what you mean.  Again, it's a pity that you can't change the width of the pinned bar and it takes up quite a lot of screen space. 

It's odd that the Favourites entries when showing in the pinned bar are spaced closer together than the same entries when opened directly from the Favourites bar itself. One would expect that someone designing the programme would have opted for a degree of consistency! The difference is almost double.  On my screen when opened from the Favourites bar there are about 2 to an inch whereas when the same entries are viewed on the pinned vertical Favourites tab you get almost 4 entries to an inch.

I know that we cannot expect to be able to customise every single parameter but it would be good if we could!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm one of those who exclusively uses the horizontal bar, filled with folders. The contents of these folders being spaced out is a major sticking point for me; it just has no value in a desktop & mouse environment. I'm not inclined to use the favorites pane as a workaround.

I'll patiently wait for this to be remedied, but won't use Edge until it's fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.