Image search filters missing

I recently installed and switched my browser to Opera 37, from Firefox 46.  (both are the latest versions)

Bing search looks different in Opera and is missing all of the filters in the Image search results.  Even the Bing Rewards amount is different.

Both have Bing set as the default search engine, both have had the caches cleaned out.  I am "signed in" to my MS account on both

Question Info

Last updated October 27, 2018 Views 184 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I have discovered an answer.  It is Microsoft and Bing with the issue.

I experimented with substituting the "User Agent" in the browsers.  I tested several variations:

• Opera Browser, using a Firefox User Agent  (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0) - Bing search is normal
  • Opera Browser, using a Chrome User Agent  (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.94 Safari/537.36) - Bing search is normal
  • Opera Browser, using it's default User Agent  (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36 OPR/37.0.2178.43  Opera 37.0.2178.43) - Bing search is wrong and missing functions

Also tested the following:

• Firefox Browser, using it's default User Agent - Normal
  • Firefox Browser using Chrome User Agent - Rendering issues, but correct webpage
  • Firefox Browser using Opera User Agent - Wrong
  • Chrome Browser, using it's default User Agent - Normal
  • Chrome Browser using Firefox User Agent - Rendering issues, but correct webpage
  • Chrome Browser using Opera User Agent - Wrong

So, the actual browser used doesn't make a difference, just what browser it claims to be when communicating with Bing.  It looks like Microsoft and Bing are "Browser Sniffing" Opera and either purposefully or accidentally sending a different Bing search webpage.  Why am I not surprised?  

For now I'm using the same User Agent switching Add-Ons I used for testing so I can function with Bing Search.  It is a work-around that I shouldn't HAVE to use.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.