Bing Image Search is broken to the point of being completely useless.

I have been using Bing Image Search for years to find and post funny images to Fark.com. I've recommended it to others, and many of us on Fark swear by Bing for image searching.

When searching for an image, it is sometimes necessary to find the exact same image in a different size. Bing has some very helpful options for this, such as ...

clicking on the image size, or, when you want to choose an image in a particular size range ...

... you can choose from "Small", "Medium" or "Large" at the bottom of the image search panel.

Either one of these options will open something like this for you:

... an entire page (the size of which will vary with the prevalence of the image across the web) of the exact same image, in different sizes from different sources.

From here, what is SUPPOSED to happen, WHAT HAS ALWAYS HAPPENED, is that when you click on one of these images, you get the image search panel, like the one in the first image I posted above. From there, clicking on that image gives you something like this ...

... an image of the appropriate size, ready for hotlinking to your favorite social media site.

What is NOT supposed to happen, what HAS NEVER HAPPENED, is to have every single image on the selection page (the third image I posted) click through to the website of origin. Making matters worse, it most often clicks through to some webpage on the site in question that doesn't even contain the image you wanted, thereby rendering the whole image selection page completely useless. And god forbid I should have Safe Search turned off: you can't imagine what kind of sites have "Funny Trump" images that will give you nightmares.

This happens in both Edge and Firefox on my Windows 10 Dell computer. Moderators, please don't waste my time asking me to clear my cache or reset my browser or the usual nonsense. The problem isn't with my computer. I've been using, and have been a big fan of and advocate for Bing Image Search for several years now and I know how it's supposed to work and what it's supposed to do. I also know what it's NOT supposed to do, and clicking through directly to websites instead of displaying ONLY the image is definitely NOT what it is supposed to do.

Bing image search on Surface 2 is completely broken... it loads a result page and just keeps reloading that result page over and over... I have had to use Google.... geez

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2024 Views 802 Applies to: