Re-enable phone sign-in with Authenticator

I have microsoft authenticator on Android and suddenly it has disabled phone sign in. Not sure what happened.

Message I get is

Your Screen Lock has Changed To keep your account secure you'll have to setup phone sign-in again.

Best part is I have not changed any passwords on my android phone.

The issue I have is how do I re-enable this

This is what happens

1) I start authenticator app on my cell phone

2) Click on Microsoft account

3) Click on Re-enable phone sign-in

Get a screen that shows the message as I mentioned before with a button to re-enable phone sign in

Clicking the button asks to send notification (Guess to what)

To my Authenticator.

And well Authenticator then goes into loop that your screen Lock has changed To keep your account sure you'll have to setup phone sign-in again. And I am back to same screen going in loop.

Any one else face this issue. Thick there is a way to get out of it is to have another mobile device with enabled microsoft app and your login. Sadly I dont have another mobile device at this time. :-)

Any ideas on how to go around it?

Sorry for wrong product classification as there is no product that matches this issue

Thanks,

Sam

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi sghayal!

I'm Jen, and I'd be happy to help you out with this issue.

You might want to try the solution posted in the following thread similar to this issue. Please try logging into your account, input your mobile number and you will receive a code via text that will give you access to the security info page and see if you can scan the new code to the app again.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/quest...

I hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to assist you further.

Best Regards!
Jen :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've got the same issue. Is there an official solution to this? I use my phone sign-in to sign into my Xbox so I'm currently locked out of it. I guess I can get a refund from Microsoft for this?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have struggled with the same, it was going in endless circles. What has helped me currently is, when the App asked me to authenticate, I didn't use my fingerprint but instead I chose to "unlock" by drawing the unlock pattern for my phone. Magic. It worked finally.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ImageImageJust trying to sign in and getting a message on my Android device that my screen lock has changed when it definitely hasn't.

For some strange reason my Microsoft Authenticator App states "Re-enable phone sign-in". Have tried using my alternative methods but now it has locked me out saying to try again tomorrow. I've not changed anything and my Microsoft authenticator app was fine before.

What's even worse is when trying to recover the account, you supply all the requested info only to be advised with the following.....

"Microsoft account password reset request

Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

It looks like you've just used the Microsoft account recovery form (
https://account.live.com/acsr?mkt=en-GB) to request a password reset for

If you're having trouble signing in, go to https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx?mkt=en-GB and reset your password using security info such as your phone, alternative email address or authenticator app.

For more info about two-step verification, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=276854.

Thanks,
The Microsoft account team"

So you're left locked out. Even though you're sent a verification code to make your account recovery request, when using 2-step authentication and entering the correct code it requests an extra step to use your alternative contact info, but you're locked out for 24 hours (as shown above) which to me doesn't make any sense.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue after my phone needed a repair. I managed to fix it by going into my Microsoft account on a device that had "Hello" authentication enabled (so my laptop), I then turned off passwordless authentication, entered a new password, then turned it back on. I had to "Turn it on" three times before it showed as set up, but my phone was able to complete the re-enable authentication task without bombing out and on the third attempt to enable passwordless everything synced up, so it could well be fine if you do it over a period to allow for processing of each step. All in though once I decided to try that route it took about 10 minutes. You could probably do it in 5 if you're not thinking "darn have I messed this up"

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is basically how I solved the infinite loop problem after having my phone serviced and turning off my security settings. I had to login into the microsoft website (I didn't have Hello on this laptop), so I had to create a new password. After creating the new password on the account, I went into the authenticator app and clicked on Microsoft (with selected email on the option) and then choose to re-activate passwordless sign-in. It then asked me for the password I created and then it re-activated passwordless sign-in. After this, everything worked fine again. To verify this, I turned passwordless sign-in off and then back on on the Microsoft website with no issues.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just horrible UI and flow design + buggy implementation.

I could not find a way to restore the app without re-enabling the password first:

1. Add a regular password.

2. Delete the "Send notification" login method.

3. Add the "Send notification" login method.

4. Disable the password log-in.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this app is utterly garbage. typical Microsoft implementation of something that should be trivial. what a joke.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm unsure if this was answered, but it seemed only to affect my Microsoft accounts.

I went into each one (I have 4) and clicked on the third option that says re-enable and signed in with my password or changed it, and I was able to re-activate my authenticator for those accounts.

-- hope this helps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you guys ever got a solution? I'm stuck in this loop since yesterday.

Tried to recovered the account answering the thousands of questions they asked. And then received the most stupid e-mail ever:

It looks like you just used the Microsoft account recovery form (https://account.live.com/acsr?mkt=en-US) to request a password reset for (my-email). Because you've turned on two-step verification for your account, we ignore these requests but wanted to let you know.

If you're having trouble signing in, go to 
https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx?mkt=en-US and reset your password using security info such as your phone, alternate email address, or authenticator app.

For more info about two-step verification, visit 
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=276854.

This is incredible stupid! I answered, I don't know, 20 questions? And they ignore it because of the TWO step-verification?

Then I procced to 'send code to email/phone' only to recieve the message the 'You've requested to many codes today'. And now I'm completed locked off my account and can't work, everything is in this account. Documents and stuff I could download from onedrive, but the hard drive is almost full. But dabatases and softwrares are intalled there.

I need to work and Microsoft won't let me. Did you guys found a solution? Does wait24 hours work?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 16,080 Applies to: