Bing search exclude operator doesn't seem to work anymore, how do we exclude results with specific words?

In the past, I believe we could put a minus in front of a search to exclude results with that word. For example, if I wanted to search for pages with 'book' and 'face' but rule out facebook, I could use: face book -facebook. But that no longer works (most of the results include 'facebook' -- the opposite of what they should be). I also tried using the word NOT, but that just seems to add results that have the word "not" in them.

Or if I wanted to search for information on a topic and exclude YouTube results, adding a -youtube would do the trick. Or I have travel question and I don't want the spam results site of eclipseaviation.com appearing in the results (crowding out all the valid results), I should be able to just include -eclipseaviation. Or if I'm searching for magic beans and beanstalks, but don't want to see anything about jelly beans, I could just add: -jelly to my magic beans beanstalk search. None of these work any longer. This is a vital staple of standard searches.

Is Bing broken or has the exclude or logical NOT operation been changed or removed?

How can I perform a search and ensure only results that do NOT include a specific word or term?

Is there a current correct list of search operations like this? Seems this should be readily accessible from every Bing search. Isn't in Microsoft's/Bing's interests for people to know how to get the most out of their search engine? I can't find any instructions at all and the intuitive options (like just putting a minus in front of a word) don't work.

Answer
Answer

Hi GSC. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

These should still be working:
https://www.lifewire.com/bing-advanced-search-3...

If not please notify Bing developers via the Feedback Hub in Start Menu. There may be a bug.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2024 Views 4,573 Applies to: