Bing Maps REST API - 429 Result Too Many Requests

Good Morning,

I have a Bing Maps Developer which I'm using to make some tests.

We are trying Bing Platform REST API with preliminary tests to see if it fits our needs switching from another geolocation provider. Some days ago we launched a batch process and very early we started to get the following error: 429 - Too many requests

{"authenticationResultCode":"ValidCredentials","brandLogoUri":"http://dev.virtualearth.net/Branding/logo_powered_by.png","copyright":"Copyright © 2023 Microsoft and its suppliers. All rights reserved. This API cannot be accessed and the content and any results may not be used, reproduced or transmitted in any manner without express written permission from Microsoft Corporation.","errorDetails":["Your request could not be completed because of too many requests."],"resourceSets":[],"statusCode":429,"statusDescription":"Too Many Requests","traceId":"b39703b2ba6c49308e6cf6a779be5af7|mapsplatform-frontend-6d6dfcfd85-jwxrk|0.0.0.1|PROD-NorthEurope"}

Now the problem is that we didn't see any rate limit requirements nor anything similar, in the Developer plan there were only a 150.000 request per month limit.

Building a reliable application on top of it it will be impossible for us so. So I'm asking how much is the rate limit and where is this specified?

Many thanks and best regards

Good day Ollie10! I am glad to be able to provide assistance to you today. I would suggest to post this query to our neighbor forum from the link below as this is best suited in there. They are more oriented on with regards to this type queries/issues and there will be IT Pros/Gurus, Developers and the likes for Bing Maps who are available that will be able to fulfill your query out there.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/tags/...

Regards,
Paul R.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ollie10,

@par_0511 does not represent the Microsoft maps team and should not be directing you on a wild goose chase. The 429 is a valid response and indicates you are sending too many requests and exceeding your QPS limit. On basic accounts it can be as low as 5 to 20 QPS. To avoid this message, space out your calls to not exceed 50 QPS on a paid Enterprise account.

If you would like to review your account details, you can reach out to MPNet @ Microsoft.com and they can look at your settings with you.

Sincerely, IoTGirl

(A member of the Microsoft Maps Team and not an Independent Advisor)

Without ME it's just "AWESO" - Barney Stinson

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi @IoTGirl, thanks for the reply,

Support also replied to me, saying that it seems it was stated here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/bing-maps/product (Section 3(c)).

It was not very clear, but it seems that the limit is 5 QPS. The thing that wasn't especially clear, also was the 125.000 hard limit, which is per year, not per month, it seems.

I still don't understand why this information is so shady and not clearly published like other providers do

Many thanks and best regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ollie,

If you have the 125k limit and are getting 5 QPS you are using an unpaid account that is just meant for evaluation use. Higher limits are available for paid accounts.

Per transaction type information can be found here Understanding Bing Maps Transactions - Bing Maps | Microsoft Learn and account types are documented here API Pricing | Competitive Pricing | Bing Maps for Enterprise (microsoft.com) and licenses are yearly unless otherwise noted.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Without ME it's just "AWESO" - Barney Stinson

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2024 Views 197 Applies to: