Bing Map tiles are throwing SSL/TLS error intermittently.

Hi team,

we are using Bing map in SSRS in native form and for some of the tiles its throwing SSL/TLS error and its completely random. We captured the packets and it seems it throws an error like Illegal Parameter (47) and close the connection. This throws the SSL/TLS error and the tile show white image with msg "The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure connection".

we checked the cyphers and all and it's all fine. we are using 1.2 TLS.

Hello Vikas_Sinha_MUM,

Good day! I'm John DeV a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today.

Due to the scope of your question, it is best to ask this on Microsoft Site Q&A which is a technical community platform where most of the members were IT professionals that would greatly help you with the issue.

Microsoft Site Q&A
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/tags/...

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Dev.

Will ask there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Vikas_Sinha_MUM,

You're most welcome. I'm glad to help.

Stay safe and have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vikas,

By "We are using Bing map in SSRS in native form" I assume you are using Directly accessing the Bing Maps tiles - Bing Maps | Microsoft Learn but failures will occur if you are not doing the metadata call for each session you have with the tile server (Get Imagery Metadata - Microsoft Bing Maps | Microsoft Learn). As the Microsoft Maps team updates tiles worldwide, the tile server changes and some tiles will be no longer available.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Without ME it's just "AWESO" - Barney Stinson

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Thanks for reply. We found the issues so thought to post here. May be helpful for others.

In SSRS, when we add any map layer, it calls dev.virtualearth.net (its native code in MS provided DLL under SSRS) to get the maps URLs(it is served via CDN like ecn.t?.tiles.virtualearth.net). Then SSRS makes the call to respective URL and gets the tiles of the map.

Issues was, we are using Windows 2022 server edition which by default enables TLS 1.3 and communication imitation from our end to Bing was on TLS 1.3. From Bing side it requests for TLS 1.2 and then protocol negotiation happens. Most of the calls went throw means negotiations are fine and handshake happens properly but for some of the packets it turns to be in Illegal Parameter (47) error and those packets turns us the SSL/TLS error on the Tiles.

We reached to MSFT, and they are investigating it but for now we have disabled the TLS 1.3 in client key of registry i.e., while starting the connection go with TLS 1.2 instead of 1.3, kind of fixed the issue and no more errors coming.

This might not a perm fix but for us it worked as of now.

With Regards,

Vikas Sinha

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2024 Views 368 Applies to: