bing exclude search not working

I have used (-) to exclude a word or phrase and a (+) to include a word or phrase but it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. If I am searching for a particular item but do not want to see "amazon" in the results, I type -amazon. This is totally ignored and the results are flooded by amazon. I have tried using a number of browsers with the same failure, including android phone.

Using the Amazon example, am I being over cycnical in thinking that Bing makes so much money out of Amazon so they will not be excluded from search results, regardless of the search term used? Or is this function just plain broken?

I notice that others have been bringing up this issue and the answers seem to be an attempt to fob people off. Then you shut down the thread without coming to any conclusion or providing any valid and practical answers.

I have no doubt that this enquiry will result in the same half baked response. However, I would like to be proved wrong in this respect though.

Hello, JohnOwles1

I am Igor and I will be glad to help you with this question :)

I have just tested on my side and its worked, check my attached picture.

The thing is the advertising and Bing Shopping will not be included to the exclusion rule, they are being paid by the people and will be not excluded from your search.
Independent Advisor and Community User like you
*** Please note: I don't work for Microsoft so I don't have access to accounts and personal information

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

To the regular search results , yes they were excluded.

Whithout exclusion term, amazon is my first results after bing shopping

Independent Advisor and Community User like you
*** Please note: I don't work for Microsoft so I don't have access to accounts and personal information

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't work for me, as I said, regardless of browser. See below Amazon all over for page after page.

73 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For further confirmation, the following screen shot is the bottom of page 2. I tried to go on to page 3 but it will not go further. According to the search results there is nothing other than Amazon. Not believable.

55 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having provided screen shot evidence that "exclude" from search, in this case "-amazon", is not working, I still have not heard anything remotely helpful. So, does this mean that I am correct in assuming that money talks and "exclude" is a mirage?

Or have I missed some setting that overrides my tweaking of search quiries to obtain more relevant results?

I am getting fed up of being awash with results that favour the big players over the little guy who has more detail, is more interesting and relevant. The likes of Amazon, et al, do have their place and, when I require them, I do use them but they are not the be all and end all of everthing.

231 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 4,968 Applies to: