Band 2 doesn't count steps accurately.

My wife just replaced her band with the new model, and it only registers 1/4 of the steps as my band 1, even though we walked the  same distance together.

Any idea why this would occur?

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2019 Views 20,152 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I used the band2 to attempt to track my run on my treadmill. I discovered that the Band was consistently overestimating the distance I was running. For every 0.7 miles I ran, the band thought I was running 1.0 miles. Since this was on the treadmill, it was a run with "GPS off".

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I am concerned because if its overestimating distance, its most likely overestimating steps as well.

Is there some calibration setting I am missing? I checked the forums and couldn't find anything.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

With the original band, you had to walk outside with the GPS on to get a good walk calibration.  It might be similar in the Band 2

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hear that the Band is not counting accurately the steps. Please ensure the Band is updated   and when you are walking make sure your arm is swinging. If your arm is in station momentarily it will miss some of the steps.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue as Randy's wife.

Swinging arms does not cut it.  The counter is stuck at 3200 steps, even though i have been moving around my home for the past hour.  I just opened the Band 2 and set up the device, including getting updates.

Any other ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

I Just received my Microsoft band 2 yesterday. I set it with my phone seems to work great. Track my sleep how many time I woke and everything seems to be very accurate. How ever after wearing it all morning the step counter doesn't seem to count all the steps I have accumulated 2106 steps. when I know I have walked a lot more cause I manage a 5 acre property and have been walking all round today. It seems to start counting when I change elevation drastically but if I stop for few seconds and stay in the same elevation it wont count the steps until I drop elevation or have walked more the 10 yards and even then it wouldn't count them all. Any info on how I could get to be more accurate would be helpful.

Sorry this didn't help.

Please restart the Band and test the steps. If the issue persists, we recommend a full reset.

Please follow all the listed instructions and let us know about the outcome.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Band 2 is undercounting steps by several thousand each day compared with my previous fitness tracker. I will reset and see if that helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am seeing the exact same issue with the Band 2.  Mine is anywhere from 2-4 thousand off compared to the Band 1 and what I am getting on my Fitbit!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been testing Band 2 side by side with Fitbit and Basis Peak.  The step count on the Band 2 is consistently wrong (much lower).  It is consistently lower than the other two devices by 30-40%.  I have also counted steps manually and the other two devices are correct +/- a few steps, whereas, the Band 2 is still off by 30-40%.  Anyone else having this issue?  Any updates to correct?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am seeing the exact same thing.

I have been using a FitBit Surge since the beginning of the year.

I have been wearing the Surge on my left wrist and a Moto 360 on the right. Now I have the Band 2 on my left and the Surge on the right to compare the two.

I have hope the Band 2 will replace both the Surge and Moto 360; however, the jury is still out. I am not satisfied with the step count, calories burned, and floor count on the Band 2.

1 - During the past three days, the Band 2's floor count is only registering 1/3 of the floors that the Surge does. The Surge is nearly 100% accurate on the floor count BTW.

2 - The Band's step count is less than 60% of the Surge's. The Surge has been very consistent for me regarding step count; varying no more than a couple hundred steps on the days that I go to work, walk the dogs, and work out in the evening (yes, I have a very structured life and workout regiment).

3 - Calories burned and distance are off like the step count.

4 - Sleep tracking is pretty close between the Surge and Band 2. The Band 2's auto sleep detection has worked fairly well; 18 minutes more, 22 and 32 minutes less than the Surge over the past three days. The resting heart rate of the Band 2 (lowest HR during sleep) has exactly matched the low point on the graph that FitBit provides (heart rate low point hit 45 all three days). I like MS's sleep tracking data presentation slightly better than FitBit's. However, I have no way to verify how accurate MS's Restful Sleep calculation is.

I plan to wear both 7x24 for two weeks before I decide if I should return the Band 2.

Sorry this didn't help.