Microsoft Band Crashing OS and Causing Bluetooth Connectivity Issues

Hardware

Nokia Lumia 830 (RM-983_1001)
Toyota Prius 2010

Software

Band v1.1.1933.0 09R
Windows Phone v8.10.14176.243

Problem

Serious bluetooth issues are occurring on my phone when connected for long periods of time to my MS Band.

1. Car stereo audio via phone bluetooth will intermittently disconnect. Music is locally stored and thus the issue is not due to streaming performance. The interruption is short and frequent as if buffering the music.
  2. Eventually any bluetooth device will fail to connect with my phone - excluding the Band. Attempting to manually connect an already paired device fails from either the phone or device interface. Sometimes simply toggling the Bluetooth on\off will allow devices to reconnect.
  3. The OS oftenly crashes causing a soft-reset at least twice a day.
  4. At times the phone stays stuck in a infinite short pulse toggle between a 'connected' and 'paired' state - other devices are in a connected state, but the Band states it has no Bluetooth connectivity.

Investigation

The phone does not experience these issues when the MS Band is disconnected. Note however that once these issues have occurred, simply disconnecting the band will not resolve the issue; I must restart the phone and do not make efforts to connect the Band.

The OS crash usually occurs after experiencing the intermittent audio disconnect for quite a while. I suspect the phone is in such a bad state that bluetooth drivers eventually cause a kernel level crash. For example, XBox Music would be playing to my car stereo via Bluetooth with intermittent audio disconnect, and then randomly the phone restarts. After the restart the interface between devices works as expected, but the same issue reappears the next day (assuming the phone hasn't restarted while I'm sleeping).

Similar escalations:

Windows Central Forums: Bluetooth audio stutter and pops

Microstrap UserVoice: Fix bluetooth audio stutter, snaps, and pops when wearing band

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2018 Views 1,828 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I recently worked with someone from the Microsoft band support to troubleshoot the keyboard not connecting for replies and we were able to fix the issue with the following:

1. Resetting the band
  2. Unregistering the device from Microsoft Health
  3. Deleting the Bluetooth connection
  4. Uninstalling Microsoft Health app (Did not do this the first time and still had issues, he believed something might have corrupted in the latest update)
  5. Reinstalled Microsoft Health
  6. It prompted to go and pair the device which we did
  7. Then go back into app to finish the process. (its important to open the app first before pairing this sequence is important)

Following this everything is working great. I can now use Cortana and reply to messages with the virtual keyboard. Also I'm finding that while its not 100% the Bluetooth issues with the band and car are much better.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.