Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 fails to install

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709. The update which was downloaded automatically keeps telling me to either pick a time in the future for system restart to Finish installing the update or to restart now. In the first case the chosen start time goes by with no action and in the second case I manually restart and nothing happens other than a normal restart, no update, if I then run the computer for say 10 minutes or so I get a pop up telling me to choose a restart time or a manual restart again, this has occurred numerous times , I also tried disabling my anti-virus and firewall once but still same thing happens, any advice

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2019 Views 57,639 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I'm copying notes on "works first time installs". During install, you can specify drive and partition in which to install update.  Hope these notes help you.

Reply to Petros Charalambous on Microsoft Community Site

Robert Sterbenz replied on November 15, 2017

In reply to TonyKirkham's post on November 15, 2017

I hope someone gets to see this as this is a surefire way to install major Windows 10 System Updates.  I've tried all other standard ways and none work.  Below is a process that worked the first time with Version 1703 and 1709.

You will need to have capability to do the following first:

1.  Your PC has to have the capability to be set to BOOT from DVD drive or Flash Drive.

2.  You need to download the latest Win 10 ISO file.

3.  You need to install the ISO file on a new DVD disk.

4.  You should have your PC System backed on an external device and a way to boot

your PC to the backup medium to reinstall your old system in case of disasters.

I used Paragon B&R and could boot my system from a DVD with Win PE to restore.

5.  You should know how to use CHKDSK /r to fix hard drive problems.  I had to do this.

6.  The Win 10 installation goes quickly.  You will be asked to supply a number of ID's

and Passwords which I assume (if your reading this) you already have!

7.  During the installation you will be asked for your Network Name and Password.  

I did not supply as I wanted access to MS Office installation and rebuild of PST files

before Outlook started to down latest E-mails.

8.  One final note before actual installation,  This install does not automatically save 

Your applications and folders.  However, the install will create a new file - 

c:\Windows.old which is a capture of your old system.  You can populate all the files you

need from this Windows.old folder.  You will have to reinstall your apps.

9.  Now on to the installation.

10. Place your ISO file or ISO Flash Drive in appropriate device and power up/restart

and activate the BOOT from DVD/Flash Drive as appropriate.  On my PC I used 

the space bar (really any key) to force BOOT from the DVD drive.

11.  The install process begins and various screens come up with standard answers  

required.

12.  On Windows Setup screen select "Install Now".  Select "No Key" on screen that           asks for Windows key.  On Select OS Screen, select Windows 10 Home.  On What

Type Install screen select "Custom".  On the where to install screen

I used "Drive 0, Partition 2 HP" to force install to C:"  

Other screens should be obvious!

13.   Lucky 13!  The rest of the install continues to completion.  A number of 

reboots will occur and finally your install should be complete.

14.   I know this has been a long discussion and I hope I didn't miss something 

important.  Good Luck!

Robert Sterbenz

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

We are glad to know that you were able to resolve the issue and we appreciate you for posting the suggestions that have helped you as well. We're sure it would help others with the same issue.

Let us know if you require any further assistance.

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.