Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2020 Views 2,009 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, BrendanRamirez!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We are sorry to learn you have issues with your Surface Pro 7 shutting down randomly. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. 

Also, we need to gather information regarding this.

• What is your Windows version and OS Build? Press Windows and type winver to obtain this.
  • Are there accessories connected to your device (Type Cover, SD card, Surface Dock, charger, etc.)? 
  • Troubleshooting steps aside from the Windows Update, Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, and change of sleep settings you mentioned.
  • Does this happen on any activity on the device? Please enumerate them.
  • Does it happen with and without Internet connection?
  • Does it happen when running on battery power? How about when plugged into its charger?
  • Have you tried to force shutdown the device and restart?

1. Press and hold the power button until the screen turns off (about 10 seconds), then release the power button.
  2. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. You should see the Microsoft logo.

If that doesn't work, here's how to make sure your Surface turns off completely:

Press and hold down the power button until your Surface restarts and you see the Windows logo screen (about 20 seconds), then release the power button.

For the meantime, please follow the steps below.

1: Update drivers and firmware

Check what is the current OS Build of your Windows version by going to Settings > System > About

Go to Download driver and firmware for Surface, choose Surface Pro 7 then click Download on the next page.

Choose the .msi file that matches your current OS Build and click Next.

After downloading, run and install the .msi then Restart.

2: Run System File Checker

Please check this link for the steps in Using the System File Checker Tool in Windows 10

3: Use Windows Defender to update definitions and scan.

4: Aside from checking the Reliability History, please perform Memory Diagnostic. Errors with the computer's memory can cause unreliable system operation.

From Search, type Memory Diagnostic and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic program.
Please refer to this page to check Windows stops responding on Surface for more information.

We hope this helps you out, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z     

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Barb Bowman!

Thanks for taking the time to share the threads. Those threads you've shared have been included in our reports as we've already raised this to our team.  

Regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z          

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem!!!!!!! The screenshot is the same as mine!! Did you solve this issue? I cant.. Tried a lot of stuff.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, ishikaagrawal.

We're truly sorry for the troubles. I responded to your own thread.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Janette_Z

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm using Windows 10 version 1909 with OS build 18363.657. My laptop is fully up to date. The problem has occurred whether or not the type cover was connected and whether or not the charger was connected. It also happens whether or not there is a WiFi connection. At first, I thought it only occurred while I was away from keyboard, but it has also occurred while I was working on assignments. As mentioned before, changing the sleep settings has not helped the problem and the diagnostic toolkit did not notice any problems. I tried a force shutdown and restart, but the problem still persists.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still testing, but this may be related to the keyboard. If i'm unplugged and have the keyboard attached, at just under a minute of no activity it powers off. If i detach the keyboard, i have yet to have it shut down.

Jack Alspaugh

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, BrendanRamirez!

Thanks for the update and informing us the situations when it happens. I will include this in our documentation to submit to our internal team regarding this. We will inform you once we get any updates on this. Your patience and cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Janette_Z

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, Jack Alspaugh.

We appreciate the added information you shared and took note of this.

Regards,

Janette_Z

Sorry this didn't help.

Sadly, it didn't resolve the issue. By removing the keyboard it definitely delayed the shutdown, but after about 20 minutes it just randomly shut down again :(

Jack Alspaugh

Sorry this didn't help.