Adaptive Controller analog push buttons (e.g. for controlling speed)

Hi there, 

I'm making a complete gaming setup for a tetraplegic based around the XAC. For all digital inputs (X, Y, A, B etc.) I'm simply using standard arcade push buttons with microswitches connected through a mono mini jack cable. Easy peasy!

However, I'm having trouble getting the analog inputs  (X1, X2, RT, LT) of the XAC to work. I would like to get the exact same functionallity as the Left and Right triggers (LT, RT) on the Xbox joypad/controller (e.g. for controlling speed or jumping height in games). To achieve this I have purchased two analog arcade buttons (link) with internal 'potentiometers' that goes from 10 kΩ to 0Ω when being pressed. The problem is that it does not work when I connect them to the XAC... According to the generel XAC information, it should be possible to connect analog inputs to (X1, X2, RT, LT) using a stereo mini jack cable. However, I have not found anyone who has actually taken advantage of this feature, nor seen any devices that has implemented this feature. 

So my questions are: what specifications should be fulfilled for an analog input to be accepted by the XAC? How should it be wired to the stereo mini jack cable (tip, ring, sleeve)? 

Thanks for your answer :o)

Hello MtnBuffalo,

I'm not savvy about it and the only thing I can do right now is to tell you the link on everything about adaptive control https://support.xbox.com/xbox-one/controllers/adaptive-controller-info. What I can do is seek along with more experienced people than me answers to your case and do a research to find a way to help you. Does this help in any way?
Omega - Play well and have fun

Var dette svar nyttigt?

Vi er kede af, at dette ikke hjalp.

Godt! Tak for din feedback.

Hvor tilfreds er du med dette svar?

Tak for din feedback – den hjælper os med at forbedre webstedet.

Tak for din feedback.

Hi Omega Chefe,

thanks for your answer. I've looked a little further into it this evening. I tested the four analog ports using a standard mono mini jack cable and a quite large potentiometer (1MΩ). It turns out that the analog XAC ports needs about 200 kΩ to get full throw (0-100% activation). As the analog push buttons I got only have 10kΩ potentiometers, they simply cannot load the ports enough to achieve full range. For my purpose, this is a little problematic as there are no other 30mm analog arcade buttons available besides the ones I linked to in my first post. Knowing that the analog ports are there, but they won't accept the only analog arcade push buttons out there is a little frustrating :o)

If you are going to talk to some of the developer guys/more experienced people, would you ask them if there are any way I can surpass this problem (like lowering the resistor range of the input ports)? Do they know of anyone who has actually taken advantage of the analog input ports and what hardware they used to do so? I assume they specified the input resistor range for a reason, so maybe they know of some gaming hardware that I dont :o)

Thank you for your answer and hope it can help other people with the same issue as me. 

Var dette svar nyttigt?

Tak for din feedback.

Hi MtnBuffalo,

Thanks for your post. Firstly, we do not recommend modifying the controller's resistor range on the inputs, attempting it could affect the controller in a negative way. Also, do you mind clarifying the inputs you've stated(X1 & X2)? Normally for LR & RT inputs, we recommend using the FS-2 StealthSwitch Foot Pedal, if you're looking to use a button in place of that device then there may be luck in contacting the foot pedal manufacturers: Contact Us - StealthSwitch for the specifications of their hardware to compare and consider other options for input devices that suit your configuration's needs. 

As for wiring the buttons you are currently using to a 3.5mm jack to register to the controller properly, there is no information regarding the diagrams followed for wiring. My team will contact hardware experts to hopefully get specific information to further answer your questions.

If you have any further questions please let us know in the meantime, we appreciate you reaching out.

Best Regards,
Ezra
Microsoft Agent
Xbox Forum Moderator
"Look around and find something for which to be grateful." - Rickson Gracie

Var dette svar nyttigt?

Tak for din feedback.

Hi Ezra, 

thank you for your thorough answer. I won't tinker with the XAC hardware to alter the resistor range - that would also void the warranty of the device.

According to the XAC information found here (link), input ports X1, X2, LT and RT all accept analog inputs. X1 and X2 is mapped to forward/backward as default. The analog feature of X1 and X2 may therefore come in handy for some games so the user doesn't have to use e.g. a joystick for in-game movement. 

I will contact StealthSwitch for information regarding their hardware. But as I found during my tests, the analog ports need a potentiomer in the 200kΩ range to get full throw. However, StealthSwitch may have an option for arcade buttons as a foot pedal cannot be used for the setup I´m builiding. 

I still have one question: Do you know if the resitor range of the analog input ports is something that may be altered using e.g. a firmware update or similar in the future to accommodate different types of external hardware? This would be handy for the arcade buttons I've described previsouly as this commodity hardware is very cheap (6 $/button) in comparison to e.g. hardware from StealthSwitch.

Thanks for helping out :-)

Var dette svar nyttigt?

Tak for din feedback.

Spørgsmålsinfo

Senest opdateret november 19, 2019 Visninger 294 Gælder for: