Support for TLS (STARTTLS) in IMAP email accounts?

Hi

As far as I can tell, the Windows 8 Mail application only support IMAP (incoming) using SSL on legacy port 993 and not the more modern STARTTLS (TLS) connection type. Usually on port 143. I find it odd that this is not supported, because STARTTLS is supported for SMTP (outgoing).

Is there a good Windows 8 UI-style application with support for this security that I can use as a replacement for the Mail application?

I can use Opera Mail or Thunderbird in the Desktop, but I am interested in attempting to stay in the new UI-style.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting.  From your issue description, I understand that you have issues with Windows Mail Application.

I suggest you to install Microsoft Outlook that supports all formats.

Hope this will be helpful. Incase if you still have further queries please reply with more details and we will be happy to help you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If “Windows Mail” is the Windows 8 UI style Mail tile application, then yes. But I do not want a desktop application. So Outlook will not do.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are just kidding, aren't you?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Based on initial testing on Windows Phone 8—I have only had 25 minutes with my new device—the support is the exact opposite on Windows 8 from Windows Phone 8.

Windows 8 supports STARTTLS for SMTP but not IMAP. Windows Phone 8 on the other hand support STARTTLS for IMAP but not SMTP.

Shoot me now. I will investigate further with a server where I can record the exact data transmitted between the client and server.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 
I have Windows 8.1 preview pro, I was trying to use all MS products on this machine. I am having major issues trying to add my nyu.edu gmail account.  My other Gmail accounts are fine but...

I am unable to connect, for nyu.edu account, to IMAP server though the Mail App and the MS Outlook 2010.  I am unable to connect to IMAP server using SSL or TLS, completely while trying to add an internet account using SSL or TLS.

I usually sign on to Gmail nyu.edu by entering a username and blank password which directs me to a nyu login page.  Then once signed in, it is a gmail account but currently it does not connect with IMAP using TLS/SSL.

I would like to use outlook or the built in Mail app but because of the inability to connect to my nyu gmail account, I chose to stick with a web-browser that can handle all my accounts.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting.  From your issue description, I understand that you have issues with Windows Mail Application.

I suggest you to install Microsoft Outlook that supports all formats.

Hope this will be helpful. Incase if you still have further queries please reply with more details and we will be happy to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, you're support, not sales. This is a technical question, not price quote. When I buy an OS I expect to get my mail without the need to pay more for a solution for such basic need. I hope you just made a joke.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The  new and improved (?) Mail client in Windows 10 now supports STARTTLS! Woho! It will prefer SSL over TLS even though SSL now have been officially deprecated. It’s kind of a weird implementation, but you can only hope for so much, right? In any case, TLS will now work if that is all that is available from the IMAP server.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just in case you haven't found an answer yet:

Have you tried adding the TLS SMTP port number to your mail server as in mail.server.com:587 ?

Worked for me (after spending hours of debugging, log parsing, reconfiguring, ...)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Very much thanks there, funny how some one like you has to spend hours solving a problem when good coding of the email app settings screen would have saved us all from nearly turfing the phone

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 11,098 Applies to: