How to set File associations in Windows 7 (not 'open', but others)

In WinXP, I could go to a the file assocations menu and view or edit the entries for items like: Edit, Print, etc, in addition to 'Open', and I could set the default action to something other than open (examples 'play', merge, or edit).

Where do I do this in Win7?

I know about the "Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Associations(Associate a file with a program)" page, but that seems to only have the ability to select a program to be called when the user 'clicks' on the file, i.e. the default action.

I just recently installed a picture viewer, but it took all the assocs from my picture editing program.

That makes some 'sense' (how else to I view pics in the viewer?), so I right clicked to see if there was another option to edit my picture (like edit)...   There is -- except that it doesn't start my photo editing program, it starts 'Paint'.

So how do I fix it the 'Edit' menu option to call my editor? 

More generically, how do I change one of the right-click options to point to my program, or if, say, 'edit'
wasn't there, and I wanted 'Edit' on ".reg" programs to open the file in a text editor?

These things used to be relatively simple in WinXP, but now I've no clue about where to find these basic
OS setting features.

I can't imagine that MS would expect people to learn and use 'regedit' to do these types of changes -- but that seems to be the only program included with Win7 to do this, or am I just WAY missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Answer
Answer
Are you missing the old style "File Types" dialog that used to let you set this stuff?  In Windows 7 (and Vista), you'd have to set it manually in the registry.  But there's a small program that brings back your familiar functionality.   I haven't used it myself, but it looks to be pretty awesome.  Here's the link:  http://types.sourceforge.net/
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I don't know if somebody already resolved this problem but I just happened to figure this out.

---

Except you didn't read the title.

We don't want to know how to choose what program 'opens' ... (that's the only thing you  CAN do in Win7..)... we want to know how to assign other actions...

Like edit, view, preview,

or add custom ones like

'edit in photothing'

'edit in mspaint'

edit in my finger painting app'...

etc...

Anything but open is difficult or impossible with Windows 0-- where once it was trivial.

MS is really dumming down and removing features as they put out new version -- AND raising prices...

If you look at everything you got in WinXP-Pro -- that's the equivalent of what they call Win7-Ultimate today.  You go a level down and you are missing domain security (which I use at home), OR  you lose media play ability -- both things XP had ....

But wait, for all these fewer features and greater cost -- you also get a 15-30% slowdown on all OS related functions!

Remember the good old dialup days when there was a 'lag' between when you pressed your keys and they were echoed (because they had to go to the remove site which did the echo?)----In Win7 you get that same feeling -- keys are lagged as they are shipped off to someplace for inspection...

Remember type-ahead?   Win7 drops keys regularlly -- so can't rely on it...

And lets not forget several people's fav -- lack of home-network searching!....  Sure if you buy MS SErver and run it at home, you're set, but any other network drive....  they gave us the pooch.

And now they are blythely moving on to Win8??   Gawd ... I see how Vista users really felt like suckers.  MS, what's wrong with you?   Are you determined to kill the **personal computer**??

---------------

Leaving the above orignal content.

But I get updates on this and don't understand the whiner's upsets -- the question was answered BEFORE this follow up pose by Shawn Keene on July 13, 2011, The fact that my follow up got moved up under his was because others agreed with my "grumblings".

But Shawn points to the below (http://izt.name/apps/types/).  So if you want to solve your problems, learn to read, as his answer was posted before my followup, AND is above mine in the reading order.

Types

Types is a simple Windows utility that allows you
to add and remove file types, set program associations,
change icons, edit context menus and other properties.

Download
Types 2.1.1 (196 KB installer)
Localize

Place language files either next to the downloaded Setup.exe
or into the installation folder (default: C:\Program files\Types).
Press F1 to select your language, then restart the program.

Language file template

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2024 Views 277,592 Applies to: