Unable to upgrade to 8.1: User folder moved

Hi @all,

I've installed Win8 (in BIOS mode).
I used the method suggested at http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html to move the Users-folder to a different partition (on the same drive) (namely d:\Users). However as I try to upgrade to 8.1 (using Store) I get an error:

something happened and the Windows 8.1 couldn't be installed. Please try again. Error code: 0xc1900102

A more descriptive screen says:
"Can't update to Windows 8.1
Sorry, it looks like this PC can't run Windows 8.1. This might be because the Users or Program Files folder is being redirected to another parititon"

Is there any way to still install the update without formatting everything?

Windows8-UpgradeAssistant.exe did not complain at all (...as it just checks apps I think)

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

What is the make and model of the computer?

I would suggest you to remove all the external hardware devices except mouse and keyboard and then follow these steps and then check.

Method 1:

You need to make sure that all the drivers are updated. So, I would suggest you to go to the computer manufacturer’s website to download the updated drivers and install them.

Method 2:

If you have installed any third party security software like antivirus program/firewall, they can interfere with the download. I would suggest you to temporarily disable and check if you are able to download the update.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3: Disable proxy

If you have setup a proxy connection, I would suggest you to disable the proxy and check. Refer these steps:

a.      Click the Gear box at the top right corner in Internet Explorer.

b.      Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

c.       Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

d.      Uncheck the option “Use a Proxy Server for your LAN”.

e.      Click Apply and Ok to save changes.

Method 4:

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and then try to download and install.

Clean boot: To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

Note: Please refer to the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Note: We have sent you a Private Message, requesting for the log files to further troubleshoot on the issue. Please reply to the Private Message with requested information.

Let us know about the status of the issue. We would be happy to help you further.

Regards,
Tadasha Mishra

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

^^You can't be serious.  Reboot?  Check proxy?

This user used sysprep to move their user folders, and you think rebooting might help?  Please escalate this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dude, did you even read the question? HAHAHAHAHAHA

PD: And you fancy support engineer? You can't even be a receptionist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think this is the more idiotic reply I read so far.

I mean, do they even look what they copy-paste?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you kidding?!? What kind of answer is that, it doesn't even begin to address the question?? Thousands of users have windows go to a different drive for the users folder and none of them can upgrade to 8.1, Microsoft get someone  on the forum who can answer the question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I keep reading this and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or get angry. Can't believe that someone with a "Microsoft" badge can post something like this without consequences.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So log files have been sent and hopefully there will be a solution.
Nevertheless although answering the 0-8-15 questions might be a waste of time here u go:
- Lenovo ThinkPad T430 with latest drivers installed
- No Proxy enabled
- disabled KIS, did not make a change

Well I think this scenario can easily be reproduced in a virtual machine and I do think that this works as designed as the error message is quite precise about the error. But as pointed out by @A613S no one of the users having their folder redirected will be able to do a upgrade? An official statement would be nice.

Sent with having my proxy disabled ;-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After a whole night of experimenting I could successfully upgrade to 8.1 on a machine where the ProfilesDirectory was redirected to D:\Users and the user folder was also D:\Users\Username.

Beware: I also tried roughly the same on a different computer without luck (but it had low on free space) and after doing the update and restarted several times, it stuck at 59% and when I forced the shutdown, it rolled back automatically to Windows 8, but the profile directory cannot be loaded since then, every time when I log on, a temporary directory is created.

The steps I made for the successful upgrade:
(I am not sure if all these are required but this worked for me)

- I reset HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList/ProfilesDirectory back to "%SystemDrive%\Users".
- I created a new account (after the first step it will be created in C:\Users )
- I made the new account Administrator (Control panel, change user type)
- I signed out with my existing user
- I signed in with the newly created user
- I opened an administrator command prompt and made a Junction from the C: profile folders to the D: profile folders running mklink /J C:\Users\Username D:\Users\Username
- I changed the HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList/S-1-5-xx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ProfileImagePath keys that point to D:\Users\Username to C:\Users\Username
- Verified that I could still log in to desktop with the user.
- (I guess the previous 3 steps should be repeated for all the accounts with profile folders on D)
- Installed all pending updates and made a full restart to make sure that the no user on D is logged in
- Downloaded and installed the 8.1 update successfully :-) .

Actually I tried to install the update after the previous steps too but it was unsuccessful. At first, it failed with the error message "Can't update to Windows 8.1 Sorry, it looks like this PC can't run Windows 8.1. This might be because the Users or Program Files folder is being redirected to another parititon" during compatibility check.
After changing the ProfilesDirectory, the error was different, the progress indicator in Windows Store went to something like 95% and then it just gave an error number. (I can't remember it but something like 700040001, it had only 3 nonzero digits)
At the end, after installing all updates and a full restart, the update went successfully.

Playing around with the ProfileImagePaths doesn't seem to be very safe, I don't know when the user account went wrong in the other case, I can't remember signing back in after doing the registry changes, so it might have been wrong before the 8.1 upgrade. It might have been the case of the failure to upgrade.
I have no idea what I did differently apart from the new user I created was a local account and not a microsoft account.
Actually the same thing happened to me sometimes when I tried to relocate an existing account to a different drive in the past (Win XP, Win 7), but after that my strategy was to create a temporary account when installing windows, then change ProfilesDirectory and for the accounts I created after that were created on D:. This led to the setup that made Windows 8.1 upgrade fail.
Note: It happened to me previously that an update failed for the same reason, but that time it was enough to do the first step on my list and I didn't have to touch my existing profiles.

It also occurred to me that probably the Junction and changing ProfileImagePaths was unnecessary and the reason of the failure after changed ProfilesDirectory was not that would have to install the pending 3 updates and do a clean restart.

I hope that this helps, at least there is a case when the upgrade was solved without doing a full reinstall or deleting users. 
I hope deleting and recreating the user will work in my other case as well.
I also have the suspicion that after upgrading to 8.1 I would be able to put the default profiles dir back to D: (until Windows 8.2, Windows 9 or a SP comes out)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your_Local_BLS_Service_Provider

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After a whole night of experimenting I could successfully upgrade to 8.1 on a machine where the ProfilesDirectory was redirected to D:\Users and the user folder was also D:\Users\Username.

Beware: I also tried roughly the same on a different computer without luck (but it had low on free space) and after doing the update and restarted several times, it stuck at 59% and when I forced the shutdown, it rolled back automatically to Windows 8, but the profile directory cannot be loaded since then, every time when I log on, a temporary directory is created.

The steps I made for the successful upgrade:
(I am not sure if all these are required but this worked for me)

- I reset HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList/ProfilesDirectory back to "%SystemDrive%\Users".
- I created a new account (after the first step it will be created in C:\Users )
- I made the new account Administrator (Control panel, change user type)
- I signed out with my existing user
- I signed in with the newly created user
- I opened an administrator command prompt and made a Junction from the C: profile folders to the D: profile folders running mklink /J C:\Users\Username D:\Users\Username
- I changed the HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList/S-1-5-xx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ProfileImagePath keys that point to D:\Users\Username to C:\Users\Username
- Verified that I could still log in to desktop with the user.
- (I guess the previous 3 steps should be repeated for all the accounts with profile folders on D)
- Installed all pending updates and made a full restart to make sure that the no user on D is logged in
- Downloaded and installed the 8.1 update successfully :-) .

Actually I tried to install the update after the previous steps too but it was unsuccessful. At first, it failed with the error message "Can't update to Windows 8.1 Sorry, it looks like this PC can't run Windows 8.1. This might be because the Users or Program Files folder is being redirected to another parititon" during compatibility check.
After changing the ProfilesDirectory, the error was different, the progress indicator in Windows Store went to something like 95% and then it just gave an error number. (I can't remember it but something like 700040001, it had only 3 nonzero digits)
At the end, after installing all updates and a full restart, the update went successfully.

Playing around with the ProfileImagePaths doesn't seem to be very safe, I don't know when the user account went wrong in the other case, I can't remember signing back in after doing the registry changes, so it might have been wrong before the 8.1 upgrade. It might have been the case of the failure to upgrade.
I have no idea what I did differently apart from the new user I created was a local account and not a microsoft account.
Actually the same thing happened to me sometimes when I tried to relocate an existing account to a different drive in the past (Win XP, Win 7), but after that my strategy was to create a temporary account when installing windows, then change ProfilesDirectory and for the accounts I created after that were created on D:. This led to the setup that made Windows 8.1 upgrade fail.
Note: It happened to me previously that an update failed for the same reason, but that time it was enough to do the first step on my list and I didn't have to touch my existing profiles.

It also occurred to me that probably the Junction and changing ProfileImagePaths was unnecessary and the reason of the failure after changed ProfilesDirectory was not that would have to install the pending 3 updates and do a clean restart.

I hope that this helps, at least there is a case when the upgrade was solved without doing a full reinstall or deleting users. 
I hope deleting and recreating the user will work in my other case as well.
I also have the suspicion that after upgrading to 8.1 I would be able to put the default profiles dir back to D: (until Windows 8.2, Windows 9 or a SP comes out)
Anyone else having any success here? 
I just keep telling myself its worth it. But lets hope my wife sees it that way if things go wrong.
Your_Local_BLS_Service_Provider

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2019 Views 6,392 Applies to: