Word: Vertical Scrollbar Auto-Hiding in Print Layout View

How can I disable the automatic hiding of the vertical scrollbar that occurs after a few seconds of mouse inactivity in Word 2013?

I frequently receive and review word documents from other people I work with. After I open a document for reading I look to the vertical scrollbar  to guage how many pages / how large the document I am reading is. When it disappears I no longer have any sense of the document size.

Having to constantly move the mouse around to see the scrollbar is difficult and time consuming for me because of a movement disorder.

Answer
Answer

Hi all,

What an unfortunate and badly thought-out "feature". I just converted to Word 2013 and have really been annoyed by this as I need to see the scrollbar at all times for some of my work.

In any case, until Microsoft fixes it (if they ever), I've written the AutoHotkey script below that completely fixes the issue for me (scrollbar always visible!) Maybe others here will find it useful. What the script does is that it checks if the active window is Word, and then if it sees that the mouse pointer hasn't been moved for two seconds, it quickly moves it by one pixel then quickly moves it back to its original position (so there is a barely perceptible blinking of the pointer when that happens), and this is enough to keep the scrollbar always visible. Works perfectly for me.

Feedback welcome. Just let me know if you need any help getting it to work, are unfamiliar with how to run an AutoHotkey script, or encounter any issue.

#SingleInstance, force
Setbatchlines, -1
SetMouseDelay, 10
Sendmode, Input
Mousegetpos, xpos, ypos
Loop
{
Sleep, 2000
Mousegetpos, xpos2, ypos2
IfWinActive, ahk_class OpusApp
    {
    If (xpos2 = xpos) and (ypos2 = ypos)
        {
        Mousemove, % xpos2+1, ypos2, 0
        Mousemove, % xpos2, ypos2, 0
        }
    }
xpos := xpos2
ypos := ypos2
}
Return

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 11, 2023 Views 14,109 Applies to: