JDR12
Had this question 67
Question
JDR12 asked on

Win phone 7 Outlook 2010 Sync with stand alone PC

Hi after waiting 10 months for release and eager anticipation  My HTC 7 arrived. Goodbye Iphone :) back to Microsoft . Started set up all went well very impressed set up pop3 email only then did alarm bells ring. Opened Zune to sync contacts calendar notes FROM PC NO OUTLOOK sync !!!!!!!!

After reading forums of the more than complicated time consuming method of syncing and then sorting hundreds of contacts I despaired.

The last thing I thought of before ordering was that a state of the art Microsoft based Windows Phone 7 would not sync with my desktop Outlook 2010 via a usb cable and Zune. Please tell me I was not alone.

I do not trust the cloud that much at present given the past history of hacking accounts.

Unfortunatley I cannot wait for Microsoft to reconsider / relent (wishfull thinking)and allow Desktop users to sync via Zune.

THE PHONE has now gone back and I have one that syncs as it should an APPLE  IPHONE4

Axel T. - Microsoft Support
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Axel T. - Microsoft Support replied on

sddjd,

As per your request please find here a link to Feature Request & Suggestion Thread.

ChristophHuber
Found this helpful 6
Most Helpful Reply
ChristophHuber replied on

I just agree ..... used a old Win Mobile 6.1 device. Got a new HTC Win Phone 7 and wanted to sync my contacts and calendar to this new device.

But no chance. What a bad surprise.

I don't want my data in the cloud, I don't want to run my own exchange .... so either there is a easy way to sync with outlook or this DEVICE is GONE!

ChristophHuber
Found this helpful 6
ChristophHuber replied on

I just agree ..... used a old Win Mobile 6.1 device. Got a new HTC Win Phone 7 and wanted to sync my contacts and calendar to this new device.

But no chance. What a bad surprise.

I don't want my data in the cloud, I don't want to run my own exchange .... so either there is a easy way to sync with outlook or this DEVICE is GONE!

embrangler
Found this helpful 4
embrangler replied on

This is my biggest problem with the device as well.   Going to hang onto it a bit longer, but if not fixed, I think it might go back on the 30-day return policy.  
DCTbone
Found this helpful 3
DCTbone replied on

I have the same issue with this supposedly state of the art device.  Who would release a microsoft phone in this day and age that will not sync with another widely used microsoft product.  Somebody needs their behind whipped at Microsoft.  I have been looking all over the web trying to figure out how to make this free hotmail solution work, but there seems to be a problem with the server.  Maybe this hotmail solution also will not work and even if it does the consumer should not have to go looking and calling for the work around. Who has time for this kind of ____?!  The count down has started for the return of this phone.  So disappointed, I was actually counting on Microsoft to get this right.
skcarlq
Found this helpful 2
skcarlq replied on

I totally agree, this is also my biggest issue with WP7.

I hope that a future update will fix this, but with their pushing all content to the cloud, I don't know if this is just wishful thinking. I will need to decide before my return period runs out. :( 

I like many other features in WP7 and I want to believe they will do the "right thing."

ChrisLynch06
Found this helpful 1
ChrisLynch06 replied on

So I don't get why you wouldn't want to store your contacts within Hotmail?  If you use Outlook 2007 or 2010, there is a Hotmail plugin to Outlook so you can copy your contacts to your Hotmail account.  WP7 requires you to have a Windows Live ID, which should be tied to a Hotmail account.  I don't think you need to have a Hotmail account.  Heck, if you have a GMail account, it supports Microsoft's ActiveSync, which you can store your contacts there instead.

MS "may" introduce a plugin for Zune to sync with your Outlook client on your Windows system.  I don't know if they will, or even have plans to support that.

Surface Pro 128GB
Nokia Lumia 920, AT&T US
skcarlq
Found this helpful 1
skcarlq replied on

The issue is that they are "forcing" me to store my contacts  somewhere "out there on the internet" instead of on a local machine. I currently keep my contacts and calendar only on my local computer and I have my own domain with multiple email accounts, so I don't store my contacts on any external server.

Duginov
Found this helpful 4
Duginov replied on

I also really wanted to buy the phone until I read about Outlook sync issue. I was actively using Outlook for years. Not for e-mail. For Contacts, Tasks and Notes. Each of those could be properly categorized and synchronized. I used to sync them to various Palm devices and phones.  It worked well. Now what? All those new cloud solutions provide only Contacts and Calendar sync. No more categories for those items, No more Notes or Tasks. Loyal Outlook users are pushed to look for another PIM software that will give them features Outlook had for years AND will be able to sync with WP7. That's a shame, isn't it?

Actually, I take it back. I WILL buy the phone just to be able to return it back with negative feedback about missing Outlook functionality. I don't have another way to communicate the message, do I?
Regards, Dmitry
Regards, Dmitry
Timewover
Found this helpful 2
Timewover replied on

I agree.  I have actually returned my phone.  Local sync was important.
Bob E4
Found this helpful 2
Bob E4 replied on

I also agree strongly.  I consider myself pretty good with this stuff, but I've spent over two (2) days trying to figure the sync out.  I use my calendar and contacts a lot with multiple family member Outlook accounts. Doesn't make sense so I'll probably go and return my Windows Phone 7 for an iPhone 4, which will sync to Outlook with out any effort.
Francesco Gradozzi
Found this helpful 4
Francesco Gradozzi replied on

I was as bewildered as you discovering that WP7 doesn't locally syncronize with Outlook and that you cannot syncronize Office documents through Windows Live. Really Unbelievable!!

I'm considering to give back the phone too.

Previous Previous Page of 11 Next Next