Spirou 101
Had this question 236
Question
Spirou 101 asked on

Does Windows Phone 7 sync to Outlook?

Since this is very important for me to decide if Windows Phone 7 is for me:

Does Windows Phone 7 fully sync to Outlook, specifically in order of importance:

1. tasks, including categories
  2. calendar, including categories
  3. contacts, icluding categories
  4. notes, including categories
  5. emails
@profjulie
Found this helpful 23
Answer
@profjulie replied on

Like you, I've been syncing to Outlook on my computer all these years.  I've dabbled a little with Windows Live and Google Contacts and the like, but only recently got serious about moving all my PIM-related data to the cloud.  Over the last few weeks, I've spent a lot of time working this out for myself, and I'm planning to document the Outlook Connector solution on my blog later this week and will post a link to the article once it is published.

If you use Outlook Connector, your Appointments & Contacts will sync to Live ID just fine, including categories.  You won't be able to add categories or edit categories within Windows Live, but that data will be there.

Outlook Connector doesn't really sync tasks to Windows Live, nor does it sync Notes .  Windows Phone 7 does not include any native applications to handle tasks (not sure about notes), but I was looking over the WP7 Applications in the the Zune Marketplace and saw a couple of tasks applications there that looked like they'd handle tasks and related categories.

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone | pocketprimer.com | twitter
Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Entegy
Found this helpful 4
Answer
Entegy replied on

"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"
Nusaram
Found this helpful 90
Most Helpful Reply
Nusaram replied on

It is absolutely incredible that this company would remove such a vital feature!  Simply,    *Please mind the language*

I am one of those who is not interested in storing my personal information in the cloud, period.  Outlook has been the place for all of my PIM data for years now and sync'ing my Outlook data to my phone has always been essential for me.

I was hoping to move up to a WP7 phone but unless there is an app that will allow Outlook sync'ing, then I'll stick with WM6.5 for the moment and then move to something else that syncs with Outlook.  My PIM data will be staying put, thank you. 

Jimmy Fallon
Found this helpful 21
Jimmy Fallon replied on

This was also my #1 concern. If you do NOT use Exchange for your email, it is my understanding that there is NO direct sync between the Oultook on your computer and the phone. I assume there may be an "app for that" at some point.

However, you can sync between Hotmail (and or gmail etc.) and the phone.

If you have a pop email account like I do, you can create a hotmail address, and then use the Outlook connector to use the calendar and contacts with the hotmail accounts.

In order to avoid confusion for myself, I have created a new Hotmail address, and I use the Hotmail connector so that I can use Outlook with the phone. I then have my email forwarding to my Hotmail address, so that I don't have to have two separate email addresses in Outlook.

I will be switching to Hotmail altogether soon.

As far as I know the tasks will not sync, and the notes will not. You have to use the to do list on the phone, and one note for notes.

I don't know the answers to your categories questions yet. I found this all to be enormously confusing until I just went with the flow and moved all to hotmail. I can understand anyones resistance to not want to do that. But in the end I think it makes everything a lot easier to deal with.

In short, desktop syncronization is dead, it's all about syncing with the cloud now, but the nice thing about the Outlook connector is if the cloud is down, you still have all your info on Outlook.

I hope someone else will come in and give you a more detailed answer about the why's of all of this. Hope this helps a little bit.

See this thread for more info.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7/thread/61013923-59ab-4a24-becf-969db0ad2702

jf

@profjulie
Found this helpful 23
Answer
@profjulie replied on

Like you, I've been syncing to Outlook on my computer all these years.  I've dabbled a little with Windows Live and Google Contacts and the like, but only recently got serious about moving all my PIM-related data to the cloud.  Over the last few weeks, I've spent a lot of time working this out for myself, and I'm planning to document the Outlook Connector solution on my blog later this week and will post a link to the article once it is published.

If you use Outlook Connector, your Appointments & Contacts will sync to Live ID just fine, including categories.  You won't be able to add categories or edit categories within Windows Live, but that data will be there.

Outlook Connector doesn't really sync tasks to Windows Live, nor does it sync Notes .  Windows Phone 7 does not include any native applications to handle tasks (not sure about notes), but I was looking over the WP7 Applications in the the Zune Marketplace and saw a couple of tasks applications there that looked like they'd handle tasks and related categories.

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone | pocketprimer.com | twitter
Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Laura Rooke
Found this helpful 11
Laura Rooke replied on

I recently switched to a Hosted Exchange Server. I believe you can sign up for this with sites such as GoDaddy for under $10 per month.

It really makes everything so much easier, and its really easy to use.

I forward all my Comcast emails to this new exchange email address and then configure all my devices and desktops to use this exchange email address. Now all my PIM data can be changed on any device, and all devices will be automatically updated with the change.

Laura
Laura Rooke
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Spirou 101
Found this helpful 39
Spirou 101 replied on

Many thanks to all of you for your answers. Unfortunately, they all confirm that Windows Phone 7 is not for me. First, for security reasons our company will not allow syncing to the cloud. No Outlook Connector, and all web based email systems get stopped at our firewall. So, no luck here. Second, my work style depends really on the use of Outlook tasks, and I need the possibility of grouping them using categories as well.

Honestly, I do not understand why this functionality was given up since it was available in earlier Windows Phone versions. I was really hoping for something with the ease of use of the iPhone PLUS usability in a corporate environment. Ah, well.

Spirou 101

Pierre Gruninger
Found this helpful 27
Pierre Gruninger replied on

Also I was very suprised after buying a new Windows 7 phone to understand that I can't synchronise it with Outlook 2007/2010. It's amazing ! (Sorry for my english).
atrioom
Found this helpful 16
atrioom replied on

yeah, big issue. I find myself typing EVERY single contact from my windows 7 contacts into my windows 7 phone BY HAND. manually. i feel ridiculous.
Nusaram
Found this helpful 90
Nusaram replied on

It is absolutely incredible that this company would remove such a vital feature!  Simply,    *Please mind the language*

I am one of those who is not interested in storing my personal information in the cloud, period.  Outlook has been the place for all of my PIM data for years now and sync'ing my Outlook data to my phone has always been essential for me.

I was hoping to move up to a WP7 phone but unless there is an app that will allow Outlook sync'ing, then I'll stick with WM6.5 for the moment and then move to something else that syncs with Outlook.  My PIM data will be staying put, thank you. 

jimmyfal
Found this helpful 23
jimmyfal replied on

This is kind of a mind blower actually. When I first read about it in Paul Thurrotts blog, I didn't actually believe it. I thought to myself, can MS really not know how many of us bought the original Windows phones in the first place and why we bought them? I started with these phones 7 years ago, the damn Ipaqs and that bunch. All to get away from the stupid Palm Pilot guys. I am glad for all the explanations of how we are supposed to sync our stuff, but at some point the very point of using Outlook is getting lost for a LOT of us users.

The more an more we hear the explanations of how this is supposed to work the more and more it hurts.

Lucky for me I don't use the tasks, and can do without the notes. But I think MS needs to come up with a solution here because something tells me this thread is going to be visited quite a bit, as the phone gets launched in the U.S.

My solution seems to work well for me, but it took me a lot of brain bending to finally figure it out.

I downloaded the Outlook connector for hotmail. Created a new hotmail address, and copied my old calendar and contacts into it. Then I deleted my old POP account so as not to have multiple calendars and contact folders. Then I had my email all forwarded to my new Hotmail account. Problem solved except for the tasks and notes.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure you guys have no idea what a deal breaker this could be for a LOT of people. No Idea. You better rethink this one MS. HARD.

jf

Jimmy Fallon Computer Assistance www.mainstreetchatham.com
jimmyfal
Found this helpful 10
jimmyfal replied on

atrioom, you CAN copy your contacts from Outlook right into the phone, but you need to create a Hotmail account in order to do it.

• create a hotmail account
  • download and install the Outlook Connector for hotmail
  • setup your hotmail account in Outlook
  • copy contacts and calendar appointments to the Hotmail calendar and contacts.

I don't think MS has any idea how many people are not comfortable keeping there stuff on the cloud. Even though cloud syncing is the future, and a lot less problematic than a direct sync with the phone.

This thread, and the other one on this subject will continue to grow larger and larger as time goes on.

Here is the other thread devoted to this subject.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7/thread/61013923-59ab-4a24-becf-969db0ad2702/

The long we make these threads, the more they will listen.

jf

Pierre Gruninger
Found this helpful 8
Pierre Gruninger replied on

Yes we can ! I did that ... It's a one shot option ... And now ? If I add a contact or an apointment in my Outlook 2007 ? What I have to do ? Is it a joke ? as I read it's possible to synchronize Outlook with an iPhone and not with a Windows 7 Phone. But ok ... Microsoft is like my country ... very small :-)

It's very damage because I'm very happy with my new Windows Phone 7

Pierre

Previous Previous Page of 91 Next Next