Movie Maker is taking too long to process a large video file

Okay, so currently I have a very large file that I want to cut down and make into separate parts. Before I go on the file I am dealing with is 441 GB large. A game that I recorded, and I'm experimenting with trying different things to get this on Youtube. Once I moved the file to the Windows Movie Maker, it started to say something like "Getting the File ready this may take some time." So, I'm about 75% of the way there, but the loading bar seems to be stuck, and was wondering if this was normal.

If you know of a better way to compress this video into a MUCH smaller file, please let me know, because I don't have a clue, which is why I'm using WMM.
Thank you.

Previous title - Large Files for Windows Movie Maker?

Okay, so currently I have a very large file that I want to cut down and make into separate parts. Before I go on the file I am dealing with is 441 GB large. A game that I recorded, and I'm experimenting with trying different things to get this on Youtube. Once I moved the file to the Windows Movie Maker, it started to say something like "Getting the File ready this may take some time." So, I'm about 75% of the way there, but the loading bar seems to be stuck, and was wondering if this was normal.

If you know of a better way to compress this video into a MUCH smaller file, please let me know, because I don't have a clue, which is why I'm using WMM.
Thank you.

=====================================
What is the format (extension) of the video file and
does it play successfully in Windows Media Player?
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you decided it was stuck, and assuming you're using Movie Maker 2012, which 'prepares' HD sized files by making a smaller temporary file... which takes a long time to make.... you can skip the prepping by using the menu dropdown > Options > Advanced > uncheck 'Prepare files for faster editing'..... then restart Movie Maker to make the change effective.

If it handles the file well, editing in Movie Maker should be all you need to do as the saving options will make the file small enough. The saving options include using custom settings which, at the bottom of the settings windows, shows the estimated file size.... tweak the settings to get what size you need. 

I don't know if it's normal.... I'm impressed it got to the 75% point with a file that large so I'd say yes it's normal.

PapaJohn

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you decided it was stuck, and assuming you're using Movie Maker 2012, which 'prepares' HD sized files by making a smaller temporary file... which takes a long time to make.... you can skip the prepping by using the menu dropdown > Options > Advanced > uncheck 'Prepare files for faster editing'..... then restart Movie Maker to make the change effective.

If it handles the file well, editing in Movie Maker should be all you need to do as the saving options will make the file small enough. The saving options include using custom settings which, at the bottom of the settings windows, shows the estimated file size.... tweak the settings to get what size you need. 

I don't know if it's normal.... I'm impressed it got to the 75% point with a file that large so I'd say yes it's normal.

=============================================
Good advice....thank you.
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. But I decided to do it a different way, and make the file shorter by only recording about 30 minutes of gameplay, then using WMM. A 30 minute video, with the settings much lower, but still really good is a file size of about 80GB. WMM takes about 30 minutes to get the file ready.

Thanks for the advise. I'll use it if I ever deal with a file that large again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.

Previous title - Large Files for Windows Movie Maker?

441 GB? Are you recording in 4K?! My laptop only has 500 GB disk space... And I thought WMM was taking a long time for me. (Only a few minutes.) 

Wonder how long it will take to upload to YouTube?

But seriously... 30 minutes takes up 80 GB? I record for an hour and it's 2GB. More than I expected, but not near as large. Try lowering your audio quality? (Yes I turned audio recording off. I'm gonna mute it anyways.)

Edit: I sometimes forget that others may have ridiculously OP PCs. Obviously you do, being able to store a 441 GB recording, I would imagine you have lots of disk space for this stuff. My laptop was actually only $400 (granted it was on sale).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

wow so helpfull and  works perfect for me.

2 gb .mov files opens just a few second with this way.

Most of time I only do cut/crope and make slower or faster of a movie which I recorded with action cam.

I don't need re analize whole movie by movie maker.

The way I use while editing a movie (cut, crope);

1) opening the movie, same time with "movie maker" and a player,

2) Determine start and end points of movie with vlc or other player effectively.

3) go back movie maker and go the start point time (split), go to end point time (split)

just I needed part .

thanks again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2023 Views 328 Applies to: