RobNap88
Had this question 8
Question
RobNap88 asked on

Movie Maker c9450025

can anyone help? my buddy created a project using XP and movie maker. I have MM Live and am using windows 7. 
Gerard_G.
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Gerard_G. replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hi dvdgirl,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has cause you, please forward this as feature request by going to the http://feedback.live.com/ page and then select "Windows Live Movie Maker". Our team appreciates and acknowledges the suggestions and feedbacks of the users.

Since you have a project that was created in Windows XP Movie Maker. What you can do is to open the project using Vista Movie Maker and save it as a Vista Movie Maker project. Then open the Vista Movie maker project with Live Movie Maker and save it as a Live Movie Maker project (.wlmp)

Regards,
Gerard G.
Gerard_G.
Found this helpful 0
Gerard_G. replied on

Hi RobNap88,

We need to verify the file type of the project that you are opening in your Windows Live Movie Maker. To do this please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the project file, then click Properties.
 2. Under General tab, locate the Type of file.

If this project was from your friend that used Movie Maker from a computer that is running a Windows XP OS, it is possible that the project file was an ".mswmm" or "Windows Movie Maker Project". This project file is not supported in Windows Live Movie Maker. You can submit this as a feature request by going to the http://feedback.live.com/ page and then select "Windows Live Movie Maker".

Thanks,
Gerard G.

considerate_guy
Found this helpful 0
considerate_guy replied on
MVP

As noted, Windows Live Movie Maker cannot open project files from the XP version of Movie Maker.

There isn't much you can do with a project file anyway.  A project file is like a recipe that says, take 30 seconds from this clip, transition to this photo, add a title, etc.  But a project isn't any good without the source files (video, music and photos) that were used.

What your buddy should do, if he wants you to be able to see the movie is to save it as a movie file (File > Save Movie) and that will create a .wmv file that you can play on other versions of Windows.

If on the other hand, you are trying to edit his project, you would need all the source files and a compatible version of Movie Maker.

dvdgirl
Found this helpful 1
dvdgirl replied on

Gerard, thanks for your reponse to this problem but it just isn't enough.  Any new software like windows live movie maker should be able to read older versions of the same software.  That just is not good craftmanship or good customer service.  I loved and used the older versions when they were new so please tell me what I do with my videos that I have in this older version.  I want to keep them and edit them but your new software does not give me that options.  Please update soon.
Gerard_G.
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Gerard_G. replied on

Hi dvdgirl,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has cause you, please forward this as feature request by going to the http://feedback.live.com/ page and then select "Windows Live Movie Maker". Our team appreciates and acknowledges the suggestions and feedbacks of the users.

Since you have a project that was created in Windows XP Movie Maker. What you can do is to open the project using Vista Movie Maker and save it as a Vista Movie Maker project. Then open the Vista Movie maker project with Live Movie Maker and save it as a Live Movie Maker project (.wlmp)

Regards,
Gerard G.
damagyar
Found this helpful 0
damagyar replied on

I'm afraid your assumption that "There isn't much you can do with a project file anyway" is not correct. I have an educational video wine blog in which I often need to visually produce for my viewers a cross reference to previous video posts which I call flashbacks. For that reason, I maintain a copy of all my video posts in project format. Without access to these files, 2 very intense years of blood, sweat and tears will have been for nothing.

Please, please provide a viable solution to us former XP users, now running WINDOWS 7 , that does not require our having to have a previous copy or to purchase VISTA just to be able to recover our MSWMM files just so that they can be saved in WINDOWS 7.  I do not think I am the only one with this problem. Is there no patch?

I respectfully ask you to please, please provide those who have remained faithful to Windows with a real solution. It shouldn't be the tail that wags the dog.

considerate_guy
Found this helpful 0
considerate_guy replied on
MVP

As noted above, you can install WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 (from Windows Vista) and do the double conversion:

1. Use WMM 6.0 to open the .mswmm project file from WMM 2.1, save it out as a .mswmm file (but in 6.0 format)
  2. Open the newer Movie Maker (e.g. 2012) and open the .mswmm that you just saved.

The major caveat with this method is that some features that were supported in WMM 2.1 and WMM 6.0 may not be supported in the recent Movie Maker, so it may behave differently.  You may just want to stick with using WMM 6.0 then since it does a pretty good job of supporting WMM 2.1 projects and has the classic timeline that long-time Movie Maker users are more familiar with.

Wayne2049
Found this helpful 0
Wayne2049 replied on

This is typical Microsoft garbage! Do yourself a favor, buy a MAC if you plan to do any serious video work. This stupidity of having to download and install another player to do double conversions is insanity. Frankly, no one is interested in your lame apologies for the incompetence of Microsoft!
Wayne2049
Found this helpful 0
Wayne2049 replied on

One more thing I forgot. If you are trying to be so damned helpful, why don't you include the link to the compatible program rather than make us search for it! Typical Microsoft!
JoeWilson7741
Found this helpful 0
JoeWilson7741 replied on

Gerard,

How LAME is this? My daughter has spent hours and hours creating a project on XP that won't copy over to my Windows 7 box to burn a DVD. Is Bill Gates going to pay for all her time lost? What about my time in trying to load a Vista program to then load a 7 program. Does Microsoft have no shame? There is absolutely no reason why the XP program could not have exported a file that would be usable elsewhere. But that would mean that Microsoft actually had software engineers on their staff which they don't. I know what a software engineer is since I have been doing this work for 30 years. Get real you stupid Microsoft people!

John Linkogle
Found this helpful 0
John Linkogle replied on

Hi dvdgirl,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has cause you, please forward this as feature request by going to the http://feedback.live.com/ page and then select"Windows Live Movie Maker". Our team appreciates and acknowledges the suggestions and feedbacks of the users.

Regards,
Gerard G.

I am at my work computer that has been updated from windows XP to windows 7. I just downloaded movie maker for this version to complete a project that I started on my XP computer and it won't work as noted above. Because it is a work owned computer I can't do the work around as indicated above. What can I do?

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next