AnneSturley
Had this question 5
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
AnneSturley asked on

application failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect,please see application event log for more detail,what does this mean?

will not open on icon,on computer without showing above error message,how do we correct this
Gerard_G.
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Gerard_G. replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator
Hi Anne,

We need to verify if there are any other Windows Live products that are not launching or is it only happening to Windows Live Messenger. In addition, for us to isolate the cause of the side by side error please follow the steps below:

1. Uninstall Windows Live Essentials that is installed on your computer. Please follow the steps below:

a. Click Start, select Control Panel.
   b. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
   c. Select Windows Live Essentials, then click Uninstall/Change.
   d. Click Remove one or more Windows Live Programs.
   e. Select all the application from the list, then click Uninstall.

2. Uninstall all Visual C++ from the Control Panel.
3. Download and reinstall WLE thru this
link.

Let us know what happens afterwards.

Regards,
Gerard G.
Leonard_Su
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Leonard_Su replied on

Hi,

We appreciate the information you have provided. To further investigate the issue, we would like you to perform the additional troubleshooting steps below and check if the issue still occur. Because this issue typically occurs if some components of Microsoft Visual C++ components are missing. The steps provided below must be done in sequence to have best results and hopefully resolve the issue.

Step 1. Uninstall all Windows Live Essentials products from your computer. You can follow the detailed steps by clicking on this link.

Step 2. Delete the Windows Live folders found on the following directories:

C:\Program Files\Windows Live
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Live

Note
: If there is more than one Program Files folder upon opening C drive, then double click on Program Files x86 instead.

Step 3: Remove/Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ from the system:
a. Go to Control Panel and then look for Programs and Features.
b. Look for entries starting with Microsoft Visual C++.
c. Select them one by one and click Uninstall/Change to remove the program (remember to delete all entries, not just one).
d. Restart the computer afterwards.

Step 4: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ in the order in which links are provided:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Step 5: Reboot again and reinstall Windows Live Essentials from this link.

Step 6: Run Windows Update again (up to 3 times at least) in order for the remaining Microsoft Visual C++ components to fully update. You can check this article for additional help.

Step 7: Download Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 in the link I provided below and install it in your computer.

Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0

Step 8: Reboot the system (if you're asked to reboot after each update please do so) and launch the application/s that you were getting the Side by Side error before to see if the issue is resolved.

Let us know the result afterwards.

Thanks!

Gerard_G.
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Gerard_G. replied on
Hi Anne,

We need to verify if there are any other Windows Live products that are not launching or is it only happening to Windows Live Messenger. In addition, for us to isolate the cause of the side by side error please follow the steps below:

1. Uninstall Windows Live Essentials that is installed on your computer. Please follow the steps below:

a. Click Start, select Control Panel.
   b. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
   c. Select Windows Live Essentials, then click Uninstall/Change.
   d. Click Remove one or more Windows Live Programs.
   e. Select all the application from the list, then click Uninstall.

2. Uninstall all Visual C++ from the Control Panel.
3. Download and reinstall WLE thru this
link.

Let us know what happens afterwards.

Regards,
Gerard G.
AnneSturley
Found this helpful 0
AnneSturley replied on

Hi Gerard G

Thanks for your help messenger is now working.

Regards
Anne
StevePenny
Found this helpful 0
StevePenny replied on

Hi, I have had the same problem as Anne above. I tried your solution but I am getting exactly the same 'side by side configuration is incorrect' box appearing as before, even after I have uninstalled and reinstalled.

Best Regards

Steve Penny

Joseph_L.
Found this helpful 0
Joseph_L. replied on

Hi,

I have replied to your post through a private message. Please click the Private Messages Tab on the page to view my reply. You need to be signed in before you can see the Private Message.

Thanks!
ClayBerg
Found this helpful 0
ClayBerg replied on

Hi, when I click on the Remove one or more Windows Live Programs, it quickly goes away and says "Done, all the programs you have selected have been deleted." But I haven't even selected anything!

Thanks Clay
Gerard_G.
Found this helpful 1
Gerard_G. replied on

Hi Clay,

Since you are having issues uninstalling the Windows Live Programs in your computer I suggest that you uninstall it via CMD line parameter, please follow the steps found in the link below:

How to uninstall Windows Live Essentials via CMD line parameter

After uninstalling Windows Live Essentials you can follow the rest of the steps above.

Regards,
Gerard G.

ClayBerg
Found this helpful 0
ClayBerg replied on

It still did not work after I reinstalled it.

Thanks Clay.
Christian_Co
Found this helpful 0
Christian_Co replied on

Hi,

Please provide us the system log files of your computer so we can better investigate and find resolution to your issue.

The steps are in the link below in gathering log files of your computer. Please post it in the private message I’ve provided.

How to gather Log files for Windows Live Essential Installer issues

Thanks!

xbell
Found this helpful 1
xbell replied on

Joseph. I seem to have the problem as StevePenny.

Neil
Joseph_L.
Found this helpful 0
Joseph_L. replied on

Hi xbell,

Thank you for submitting this concern to us. I would like to confirm if you have already done the troubleshooting procedure that was provided by Gerard_G? Does the same issue occur?

If the same issue would still occur, kindly provide us log fies of your Windows Live Messenger. You may refer to the post of Christian_Co steps on how to grab them.

I have provided a private message so you could provide us needed information we need. You need to be signed in before you can see the Private Message.

Thanks!
Previous Previous Page of 6 Next Next