Luis Alexander Miranda G
Had this question 24
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Luis Alexander Miranda G asked on

Emails from Hotmail no longer present "X-ORIGINATING-IP" in the message's source code

Split From: "How do I hide my IP Address"

Hello Cody C, i feel disapointed, and confused; there is any news why is not present "X-ORIGINATING-IP" on emails from hotmail?.  about 4 o 5 days ago i can't see that information on "see source code from this email"

Julius_M
Found this helpful 5
Answer
Julius_M replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hi Everyone,

In the pursuit of protecting the privacy of our users, Microsoft has opted to mask the X-Originating IP address. This is a planned change on the part of Microsoft in order to secure the well-being and safety of our customers.

Microsoft is in the path of continuously improving the online safety and security of its users. Any feedback regarding this concern would be treated with utmost attention.

I have locked this thread now. If you are encountering a different issue, please create another thread.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter.

Thank you.

JR_N.
Found this helpful 5
Most Helpful Reply
JR_N. replied on

Hi everyone,

Please see the private message I created.

Note: You must sign-in to this website in order to view the private message tab.

Thank you!

Ken_Rey_C.
Found this helpful 2
Ken_Rey_C. replied on

Hello Luis,

Please send us a sample of the full message header of the email from Hotmail showing no "X-ORIGINATING-IP" in the message's source code so we could look deeper on your concern. Instructions are with the private area on how to do this.

Note: For security reason, please login to this forum and provide the needed information in the private message I've started.

Good Luck,

Ken

Thank you.
cloggieUU
Found this helpful 1
cloggieUU replied on

Hello Luis,

Please send us a sample of the full message header of the email from Hotmail showing no "X-ORIGINATING-IP" in the message's source code so we could look deeper on your concern. Instructions are with the private area on how to do this.

Note: For security reason, please login to this forum and provide the needed information in the private message I've started.

Good Luck,

Ken

I also noticed there is only originating email but not originating IP anymore in the header, so how can I trace it now?

Someone any idea??

Here is a sample:

Return-Path: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
Received: from blu0-omc1-s1.blu0.hotmail.com (blu0-omc1-s1.blu0.hotmail.com [65.55.116.12])
 by mxdrop223.xs4all.nl (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id qBVDnBWj074310
 for *** Email address is removed for privacy ***; Mon, 31 Dec 2012 14:49:13 +0100 (CET)
 (envelope-from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

)
Received: from BLU168-W77 ([65.55.116.7]) by blu0-omc1-s1.blu0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
  Mon, 31 Dec 2012 05:49:11 -0800
X-EIP: [djwG6oVO6H9tP/1dUwa7QutGbqJPuSv3]
X-Originating-Email:  *** Email address is removed for privacy ***]
Message-ID: <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
 boundary="_a73bf43e-9fa9-4a25-9226-d73e6d6b0b42_"
To: here was a name and email address
Subject: New Year's Eve.
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:49:11 +0000
Importance: Normal
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 31 Dec 2012 13:49:11.0852 (UTC) FILETIME=[9D2C66C0:01CDE75D]
X-XS4ALL-DNSBL-Checked: mxdrop223.xs4all.nl checked 65.55.116.12 against DNS blacklists
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.0 cv=JstGWrEC c=1 sm=0 a=ydry2IkHkR4A:10
 a=6RbSYSn1_sEA:10 a=Zo5euW2OAAAA:8 a=MTGo-0u_yj8A:10
 a=tR1BygG8D4Gveidpk2YA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10
 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=k9qe0pBqEVLUUux5:21
 a=HhsbTmb8Q7S2ijgiRuQrLQ==:117
X-Virus-Scanned: by XS4ALL Virus Scanner
X-XS4ALL-Spam-Score: 0.0 () HTML_MESSAGE, SPF_PASS
X-XS4ALL-Spam: NO
Envelope-To: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

--_a73bf43e-9fa9-4a25-9226-d73e6d6b0b42_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks, cloggie

KeekeeMX
Found this helpful 2
KeekeeMX replied on

I'm a little bit confused as to why we can't get a straight answer tho?
I might of missed it as well....

Why was it removed and will it come back. I, too, would like to now how to trace it again.
Getting hotmail ip is really pointless.
Julius Cesar_B
Found this helpful 1
Julius Cesar_B replied on

@cloggieUU

@KeekeeMX

Are you experiencing this issue from a certain sender only? There are instances that Hotmail masks the Originating IP to prevent spammers from using this information. It is also possible that the sender is using In Private IP, that is why it is masked on the message source.

Thank you.

cloggieUU
Found this helpful 0
cloggieUU replied on

Hello Julius Cesar,

no this problem is certainly not confined to a certain sender. Since the beginning of December I think this is happening with all the hotmail messages I receive. Also the hotmail messages from people of which I am sure do not use In Private IP. I don't understand the 'replacement' in the header where it says: X-EIP....and then a sort of hash......What could this be?

I think this were originally was the X-originating IP.

So, it is not one sender.

Thanks for thinking about this.

Luis Alexander Miranda G
Found this helpful 0
Luis Alexander Miranda G replied on

@cloggieUU
@ Julius Cesar_B

I agree with cloggieUU, something happens and I'm surprised and I feel insecure every time I check my email.

What could this be?

KeekeeMX
Found this helpful 1
KeekeeMX replied on

2 different people send me an email. Both uses hotmail. No one uses In Private Ip.
I specifically asked them to send me an email just for this.
cloggieUU
Found this helpful 1
cloggieUU replied on

Thanks KeekeeMX, I also asked people, in the family to send me mail. It is making me not only weary but insecure, I want to be sure where mail is originating from and to me this is the only way to check it. I thought that an IP address was always in the header...Maybe forged, but there should be an IP address there, shouldn't it?
struct_dj_
Found this helpful 1
struct_dj_ replied on

Im having the same issue, someone ripped me off on paypal, now I can't trace this guy....Whats the deal, what happened to what little transparency we used to have from email sender ?

JR_N.
Found this helpful 5
JR_N. replied on

Hi everyone,

Please see the private message I created.

Note: You must sign-in to this website in order to view the private message tab.

Thank you!

Previous Previous Page of 8 Next Next