Now experiencing battery drain on Windows RT 8.1 GA

I have been running the Windows RT 8.1 Preview and I upgraded my Surface RT Thursday evening to Windows RT 8.1 GA.

Prior to upgrading to the Preview, I was already running my Surface with Bluetooth enabled, so I never experienced the battery drain issue.

Since I have upgraded to RT 8.1 GA, I am now experiencing a battery drain and Bluetooth is still enabled.  The only other change I have made to my application mix is that I have installed the official Facebook app that was released with 8.1.

Is anyone else experiencing a battery drain on Windows RT 8.1 GA?
Answer
Answer

Looks like Microsoft posted a fix:

Surface RT only: Battery issue when updating from Windows RT 8.1 Preview

If you updated Surface RT from Windows RT 8.1 Preview to Windows RT 8.1, you may notice a decrease in battery life. During the update, the wireless adapter power policy isn’t migrated. Instead, the power policy is set to a default value that consumes more power both during use and in the connected standby state.

To restore the wireless adapter power policy to the correct settings, open an administrator command prompt:

Step 1: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
Step 2: In the search box, enter command prompt.
Step 3: Touch and hold (or right-click) Command Promptto bring up the context menu. Tap or click Run as administrator.
Step 4: On the User Account Control dialog box, tap or click Yes.
Step 5: At the Administrator: Command Prompt, enter the following:
powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 3
Step 6:

Then enter
powercfg -setactive scheme_current

Posted from Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/battery-and-power

Jeff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 7, 2019 Views 4,756 Applies to: