disco82
Had this question 21
Question
disco82 asked on

XP - Error: WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives (Caused by KB982802 and KB2360937)

After installing update KB982802 the following code no longer works

Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
 Set oDrives = WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives

specifically EnumNetworkDrives

It crashed with error code 800706C6 The array bounds are invalid.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Dave

P.S. tried to post this under XP but the windows updates link on the XP forum brings you here to the windows 7 forum!?!?

Böðvar Guðmundsson
Found this helpful 3
Answer
Böðvar Guðmundsson replied on

I experienced this same problem.

After installing KB982802 on Windows XP then objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives does not work but only IF there is a mapped up drive to a Sharepoint site or if a Sharepoint site has been added to "My Network Places". If I remove the mapping to the Sharepoint site the problem disappears. If I remove the Sharepoint site from "My Network Places" then I have to reboot to get rid of this problem. There could of cause be other situations where this problem arises but in my case I could link this directly to mapping drives to Sharepoint site.

Also the "Net use" command returns an error:

"C:\>net use
System error 1734 has occurred.

The array bounds are invalid."

Note that this is the same error as if objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives is used, "The array bounds are invalid.".

I managed to rewrite my logins script where I used objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives by using Set Drives = objFSO.Drives and DiskDrive.DriveLetter and DiskDrive.ShareName but this is clearly a bug in KB982802 that needs to be fixed by Microsoft.

It's not a solution to remove this patch from all Windows XP workstations.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 1
Answer
PA Bear MS MVP replied on

KB980802 is an Important (not a Critical) update for WinXP. If you've decided not to (re)install it, you may need to hide it so that Automatic Updates doesn't install it again.

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to complete | Uncheck/deselect KB980802 and hide it ("Don't show me this update again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002
PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 2

See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982802  

Visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy.  If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates. 

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through your usual support contacts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite what you see in the URL and at the top of the page, this forum handles Windows Update-related issues in WinXP, Vista & Windows 7.[What were they thinking?]

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
disco82
Found this helpful 0
disco82 replied on

Hi,

Thanks. I have reported this issue and will post any fix here once I get a response.

Cheers Dave

disco82
Found this helpful 0
disco82 replied on

Sadly the support respone wasn't very helpful especialy as I am not having problems installing the update but rather is causes a bug in a method written by MS! I sent the information originaly posted. The best bit is the second link they posthttp://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx if I follow it I end up back at the form i used to submit the issue!! Oh well I give up trying to report bugs to MS!  

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your email about Microsoft® Windows® XP.

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to install an update on your computer.

To help resolve your issue,there are a number of ways you can obtain technical information and support from our team.

A useful resource is the Knowledge Base on our website, where we have published a large collection of articles and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about our products. You can access it by going to; 

http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

You can also go online and visit our Newsgroup to post your technical question at the following website, or alternatively chat with one of our Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs);

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

If you do not find the answer that you are looking for or wish to discuss alternative support options, please call our Customer Services team on 0844 800 2400. Our lines are open from 8.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. These support options can also be viewed at;

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/services

Many thanks for contacting us.

Kind regards,

Name Removed

Customer Service Professional|Microsoft Customer Services

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Did you open your email Support Incident via this page? =>  https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Did you tell the support tech that you only encountered the problem after you'd installed critical security update KB982802 (and that uninstalling it resolved the problem)?

Can you tell me the SRX number associated with your email request?

Have you replied to the email and told support that you didn't have a problem installing the update? If not, please do so now and also refer the tech to this page (which explains that those newsgroups are no longer supported by Microsoft): http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx 

PS: You might try calling, too.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
disco82
Found this helpful 0
disco82 replied on

Hi,

That's the exact page I used to open the ticket.

SRX1138986847ID

I gave them the eaxt information above. Hopefuly the line

"After installing update KB982802 the following code no longer works" illustartes that the issue happens once the update is installed.

I haven't bother replying to the e-mail or calling because I have uninstalled the update which has resolved my problem I am simply trying to make MS aware of the issue.

Finally perhaps you could pass on the message to your tech that newsgroups are no longer supported rather than asking the customer to do so!

Thanks David

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 1
Answer

KB980802 is an Important (not a Critical) update for WinXP. If you've decided not to (re)install it, you may need to hide it so that Automatic Updates doesn't install it again.

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to complete | Uncheck/deselect KB980802 and hide it ("Don't show me this update again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

...Oh well I give up trying to report bugs to MS!

...That's the exact page I used to open the ticket...SRX1138986847ID

From MS Security today (!) => "I will let our people know about this issue..."
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Böðvar Guðmundsson
Found this helpful 3
Answer
Böðvar Guðmundsson replied on

I experienced this same problem.

After installing KB982802 on Windows XP then objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives does not work but only IF there is a mapped up drive to a Sharepoint site or if a Sharepoint site has been added to "My Network Places". If I remove the mapping to the Sharepoint site the problem disappears. If I remove the Sharepoint site from "My Network Places" then I have to reboot to get rid of this problem. There could of cause be other situations where this problem arises but in my case I could link this directly to mapping drives to Sharepoint site.

Also the "Net use" command returns an error:

"C:\>net use
System error 1734 has occurred.

The array bounds are invalid."

Note that this is the same error as if objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives is used, "The array bounds are invalid.".

I managed to rewrite my logins script where I used objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives by using Set Drives = objFSO.Drives and DiskDrive.DriveLetter and DiskDrive.ShareName but this is clearly a bug in KB982802 that needs to be fixed by Microsoft.

It's not a solution to remove this patch from all Windows XP workstations.

disco82
Found this helpful 0
disco82 replied on

Nice work in finding out it relates to SharePoint. We use SharePoint hevily.

Incidentally after disabling the update KB982802 in WSUS we got the error again today and it seems KB2360937 also causes the same issue!

Cheers Dave

disco82
Found this helpful 0
disco82 replied on

Whilst I have marked Böðvar Guðmundsson excelent post as an answer as proposed by MowGreenMVP it isn't really a solution.

A patch or patches that break "net use" if a user happens to utilise SharePoint, a platform MS are pushing hard, this needs a proper fix ASAP.

P.S. I don't really understand this post

"From MS Security today (!) => "I will let our people know about this issue...""

??

Previous Previous Page of 5 Next Next