Couldn't get to Windows Updates, possibly due to "Panda Antivirus,"

Hi,
I have been off the computer over a week.   So now, turned it on to update my Security Essentials,  Did that.  Went to Windows Update.  Could not get there.

Panda Antivirus kept popping up telling me that the page was malicious.  It wanted me to download the Panda Antivirus.

I kept deleting the page and trying again and Panda would not go away.

I brought up my Firefox, looked for MS forums, joined and here I am.

What should I do?  Should I delete IE and download it fresh?

I actually wanted Microsoft to know what was happening.

I can not understand why something like that would happen on a MS site.  A few years ago while I was with another ISP, they told me that I had gotten a virus on the page I was on.  The page I was on was Microsoft download sight.   I automatically assumed that my ISP gave me the virus so that I would update with them and give them more money.  They are a very popular ISP and it was already costing me about $50 per month.

Hope to hear from you,
J. Mei
Answer
Answer
[1] Did use "Free Registry Fix," recently. Perhaps last month or more...

[2] My grandson gave his computer to me when he went off to college...I deleted what ever [anti-virus application] he had: Think it was Macafee.  Tried Avg hated it and it would not uninstall...[neither KB2393802 nor KB971029 is listed in Add/Remove Programs]...Why is it that I can not get on to Windows update nor can I use IE8 to get here? Also, I could not go to that Java place using IE8.  Had to use Firefox...

Oh, my! Just reading your last reply gave me the willies!

A1. While registy cleaners may fix some problems - at least temporarily, they do not & cannot fix what caused the problems!

TIP: If you ever again think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, maximized, "swept" or optimised (it doesn't), read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Now for the really important & scary part...

You wouldn't wear someone else's used & soiled underwear (e.g., your grandson's) until you've washed them in hot water with plenty of bleach, would you? Well, used computers are essentially the same.

You CANNOT trust the security of ANY used computer, even your beloved grandson's, unless and until you've formatted the hard-drive & then done a clean install of windows (i.e., "wiped the slate clean"). [1]

Trust me: Neither Microsoft Security Essentials nor "Panda Antivirus" is installed or working properly!

You are seeing the effects of a longstanding hijackware infection, most likely compounded by a W32/Alureon-variant rootkit infection!  See...

• Cleaning a Compromised System
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

OPTION A: Follow the instructions in this post of mine in another forum (to-the-letter & in order! ) to return your computer to a secure & functional state: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=44636

If you need additional assistance with the clean install, please begin your own, new thread in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system

OPTION B: Take the computer to a local, reputable and independent (i.e., not a "BigBoxStore" or the Geek Squad!) computer repair shop & let them do OPTION A for you.

OPTION C: Treat yourself to a relatively-inexpensive new "netbook" computer [2] or ask Santa Claus to give you one (running Windows 7, not Windows 8!) for Christmas. In the meantime, use a friend's or a relative's computer for your online needs - or use one of the computers at your local public library.

Note: IMHO your current computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state [yes, even though you just got it fully-patched at Windows Update]. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

Wish I'd had better news for you.  Good luck!

=======================================================
[1] If the computer was still OK, why didn't your grandson take it to college with him, eh? <wink>

[2] I've seen some new Netbook computers for less than $300!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2019 Views 2,181 Applies to: