windows xp problems on a gateway laptop (NEED HELP ASAP)

Ok so i just recently  wanted to wipe my computer out completely and reinstall windows xp on my gateway laptop. i shouldnt have done this bc i had no clue to what i was doin, but i did. i sumhow put the new windows on top of the old one. everytime i turn on my computer now, it gives me 2 choices to load an operating system. one willnot load it says it needs sumthin about a system 32, and the other which is the new copy of xp i loaded wont connect to the internet or ne  thing now. i dont know if there is a difference  between desktop disks' and laptop disks".... i dont have any disk that came with the computer either. how would i go about completley wiping this computer out and putting xp back on it, and actually make it connect to the internet?? it would be of great help if anyone could help me out with this ASAP. My wife needs this computer for school. Thanx in advance, David...

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

hello

make sure you have all disks included with your computer http://support.gateway.com/s/software/medialess/faq/suppage01su44.shtml

contact gateway and get any missing  os install disks for your computer http://support.gateway.com/support/ask_gateway.aspx?cmpid=topnav

you will need the drivers for your computer internet etc: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp?Tab=My if you got another computer download before you start your reinstall (install on a cd disk)

after you have all the necessary information together

do a clean install as shown here ((READ FIRST BEFORE REINSTALL)) this will give you an idea of what is to come while there are some differences this is still pretty close to what you are going to have to do http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788  ((you need not worry about the window key as it will be already embedded on the gateway disk))

Please click the Check Mark As Answered Check Mark On This Page If this post helps to resolve your issue, as it helps others who need quick access to Answers THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i dont have any of the disks. is there a website to download them or something? i want to completely wipe it out and restore it back to factory settings just like i just bought it.... how can i do that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hello

either follow the above

or you can try alt+F10 during post

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

when i turn on the computer it gives me 2 operating systems to choose from, one xp media center edition that  tells me that file is missing or curupt<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
and the other is xp home edition that was on a disk that i put on. it lets me log into this one, but no internet connection is allowed when i try to connect to it...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

alt f10 doesnt work by the way

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hello

if you cant access the hidden partition   ie: alt f10 (recheck your manual maybe there is another key combination)

then please take the time to read my origional post completely!!

where did you get the disk you used to change the computer to it current state??

Please click the Check Mark As Answered Check Mark On This Page If this post helps to resolve your issue, as it helps others who need quick access to Answers THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

David,

The two operating system choices are configured in your boot.ini file. When you are booting your computer, pay special attention to any differences in the names of the two Operating Systems and which one actually works. This is important for what you are going to do to get rid of the one that doesn't

1. Boot your computer to the working operating system and then go to Start, right-click on My Computer, and choose Properties.
  2. Click on the Advanced Tab.
  3. Under Start Up and Recovery section, click the Settings Button.
  4. In the Start-up and Recovery section, click on Edit.
  5. This is where you will see a text file open in Notepad. The configuration here is for the boot menu with the entry for the previous installation and your new installation. The next steps are important, so follow them carefully:
  6. Go to File, Save As... and save it somewhere you'll remember and be willing to type the whole path, character by character, in a Command Prompt window if disaster strikes. (Hint, save it as C:\oldboot.ini, it's easy to get to and easier to fix) You need to change the name! Do not overwrite the original! We want one good previous copy with a new name.
  7. Next, close the file and then in the Start-up and Recovery section, click on Edit. This should be where you were previously, but this time we're going to edit the boot.ini file.
  8. Look for the line that references the bad Windows installation. you want to delete that whole line, but nothing else. Expand the window so you can see each line with some blank space after each.
  9. Click on Save. Confirm that you want to replace the old boot.ini file.
  10. Restart your machine. Cross your fingers, but if you followed the directions it should boot right up to the good Windows installation.

I can help you fix your Internet Connection. You need drivers for the hardware. Easy as long as you have a good Internet connection available to you from somewhere else.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK I APPRECIATE THAT. IT NOW BOOTS UP WITH NO PROBLEMS.... NOW HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING ALL MY DRIVERS BACK IF I DONT HAVE ANY OF THE GATEWAY DISKS? sorry about all caps.. i do have an active internet cable though... even when i plug it in, it still doesnt connect...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Find the serial number on your machine and plug it into this website:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp?cmpid=topnav

That's the Gateway support site. You'll probably need to download chipset drivers, network drivers and sound card drivers for your machine. I would start by downloading the chipset and network card drivers, then get the computer on the Internet and update the rest of the drivers then. Let me know if you have problems, or questions. I will keep an eye on this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

when i plug in my ether net cable it still doesnt allow it to connect to the internet...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2023 Views 2,380 Applies to: