BITS error message error 1290:ox50a.

When I try to start "BITS" I get error 1290:ox50a , have tried several fixes that I found but nothing seems to work. I am now unable to get any updates installed from Microsoft. Anyone have a solution ? I have windows XP net frame 3.5 sp1     I can go to microsoft update & it will show that I need 39 updates but when I try to install it just shows all failed.
I had the same problem using XP SP3 home. I tried a number of things I found on the internet regarding this problem. None worked. The thought of many is that a recent Windows update caused this problem. I resolved my problem by restoring my system from a backup made 2 weeks ago. The restore of the most recent backup made on 10-25 had the same problem. If you don't have a backup of your system you may be stuck. If Microsoft comes up with a solution they won't be able to get it to anyone using windows update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tried to restore from a couple  of places but it would not do that either . May  be another problem that I will need to fix but right now still need to fix the one with BITS . The updates are now up to 49 that will not install .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Richard,

I would have you place the computer in a Clean boot state and check-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Make sure you get the computer back to Normal Startup once you are done with the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry , that I did not come back here to tell everyone that I had been able to resolve this problem after much of trying what I could find on the help sites. But I am now back up & running. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If anyone is still having this problem this seems to have fixed it for me; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916251

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I try to start "BITS" I get error 1290:ox50a , have tried several fixes that I found but nothing seems to work. I am now unable to get any updates installed from Microsoft. Anyone have a solution ? I have windows XP net frame 3.5 sp1     I can go to microsoft update & it will show that I need 39 updates but when I try to install it just shows all failed.

An answer has been found and confirmed but has not been yet posted as a concise step by step procedure or marked yet as Answer 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/bits-not-listed-under-services-in-win-xp/9e0a3fe5-e193-4441-b3f4-85df0e9b42aa

also see

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-update-failed-get-error-message-0x80246008/1fd3ce28-62b2-454c-922b-3130e9106328

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2019 Views 1,014 Applies to: