Pitbulls2
Had this question 9
Question
Pitbulls2 asked on

Windows Security Center says no virus protection even though my anti virus program is up to date and active

Original title: Windows security symbol says no protection, but my anti virus software says that no threats are on my computer.My anti virus system is up to date(Kaspersky).Why does the red shield with the x on it state that the anti virus protection is off

My anti virus program is up to date and says everything is okay however the red shield with the x is still on and says that no virus protection is on

This has never happened before. What is wrong?

Azeez N
Found this helpful 3
Answer
Azeez N replied on
Microsoft

Hi Pitbulls,

Quite a few Kaspersky users have that same warning but it's a simple false warning. There's a fix for getting rid of the pesky warning permanently:

Try these steps and check if they help:

Step 1:

1. Temporarily disable the WMI service (Windows management instrumentation) in:

a. Start >Run

b. Type: "services.msc"

c. And in there find/stop WMI

Step 2:

Next delete the C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository folder

Step 3:

Restart the WMI service using the same procedure you used to stop and restart the computer

It is most likely the Windows Security Center which falsely is telling you it's off, you're not the first and it happens to all brands of Anti Virus software.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
jaaks
Found this helpful 0
jaaks replied on

can't delete any of these folders as they are used by other applications.
Also, there is no WMI file. There is a WMI performance adapter  file
John Muller
Madeni K N
Found this helpful 0
Madeni K N replied on
Microsoft

Hi jaaks,

Instead of continuing with this old thread, I would suggest you to create a new thread of your own for a better visibility. Provide the complete details regarding the issue you are facing, that will help the community to help you better. Read this before creating a new thread:

Suggestions for asking a question on help forums
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Thanks and Regards-
Madeni K N
Pitbulls2
Found this helpful 0
Pitbulls2 replied on

Hi jaaks,

Instead of continuing with this old thread, I would suggest you to create a new thread of your own for a better visibility. Provide the complete details regarding the issue you are facing, that will help the community to help you better. Read this before creating a new thread:

Suggestions for asking a question on help forums
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Good morning

The above answer was directed at someone called jaaks to a question he asked august 31,2012, and it came through to my e-mail with my password on it. I had asked a question regarding this in August 2010.

Just wondering if I should change my password - possible he has the same password?

Thanks for your anticipated answer

Madeni K N
Found this helpful 1
Madeni K N replied on
Microsoft

Hello Pitbulls2,

You recieved that e-mail as a notification that someone had replied to the thread that you created. It is an automated notification that is sent to the people subscribed to a particular thread if there is a new reply. You can unsubscribe from the thread by clicking on the Remove Email option that is provided at the bottom of that notification email.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards-
Madeni K N
David HG
Found this helpful 1
David HG replied on

Hi Azeez and commenters,

You said all brands of Anti Virus software. Including Microsoft Security Essentials? I run MSE and I have been having this problem lately too.

David G

Lamboom
Found this helpful 0
Lamboom replied on

thanks.. but not enough information ... there is no WMI in the services .. only WMI Performance Adapter Properties .. and there is no way to start or stop it...    there is also no wbem\repository folder to delete.    Are we talking about Windows XP?   thanks, regards, Michael
David HG
Found this helpful 3
David HG replied on

I have Windows XP, Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus, Windows firewall, and Windows updates. Periodically when I boot up, I get a balloon saying that my computer may be at risk because MS Security Essentials is turned off, click on this balloon for more info. That leads to a window called Windows Security Center that reports Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, Antivirus OFF. But in fact if I open MSE, it says it is running. Who is right?
MP797GA
Found this helpful 1
MP797GA replied on

Same results....unable to execute as instructed.

Started then stopped: "WMI"

Found file "C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository", but cannot delete due to running app.