Giraffe 2
Had this question 1
Question
Giraffe 2 asked on

How to find a file called mpcache in the computer?

I have found that there is something called  mpcache on my computer. I am trying to find out how I can find this file and delete. I have read some information that suggests it could be a virus or malware but my antivirus and malware program scans do not revealed any problems. It is also suggested that mpcache is a file linked to a download from a company known as Emergingsoft but I cannot find any such named file or program on my computer. 

Any comments that may be able to help me locate the mpcache on my computer will be much appreciated.

Jessen P
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Jessen P replied on
Microsoft Support Engineer

Hello,

1. How did you find that there is a file called mpcache in the computer?

2. Do you get any error message?

Use the following link to search the files and tell us about the result.

Microsoft Windows XP - Display hidden files and folders

Hope that helps.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer
PA Bear MS MVP replied on

If you did NOT run the the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool before you installed MSE, there's a very good chance that MSE did not install properly & therefore hasn't been working properly since you installed it in May 2010.

Then there's the possibility that your computer was already infected when McAfee Security Centre was installed (i.e., before you installed MSE). If such was the case, there's no way that MSE installed properly & therefore has never worked properly since you (attempted to?) install it a year ago.

The above alarming possibilities notwithstanding...

Considering the fact that nothing appears to be wrong with your computer and the fact that this little investigation only came about due to using Piriform Defraggler, don't do anything drastic until you've posted about this phenomenon in Piriforum's Defraggler-specific forum for clarification: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=19 (Registration required)

Always remember the First Rule of Computers: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002
Jessen P
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Jessen P replied on
Microsoft Support Engineer

Hello,

1. How did you find that there is a file called mpcache in the computer?

2. Do you get any error message?

Use the following link to search the files and tell us about the result.

Microsoft Windows XP - Display hidden files and folders

Hope that helps.

Giraffe 2
Found this helpful 0
Giraffe 2 replied on

Thanks for your reply I hope you can help further.

I first found this mpcache file about a week ago when using Piriform Defraggler which I have been using for several years. The mpcache file defrags ok seperately.

The file when found and opened via the operating system search lists many other files with headings like Restore; Rapport and Microsoft Security Client.

I have scanned the closed files using both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and the results come back clear.

I am just puzzled where this mpcache file has come from and where it is to be found in my computer and if necessary can I delete it.

Can you possibly help further? 

Giraffe 2
Found this helpful 0
Giraffe 2 replied on

I have somemore information to add which I would welcome comments on.

I have found a scan file within windows. Inside are mpcache files. Open further and find CatcheManager and inside is MpScanCache-0.BIN file. 

I have googled MpScanCache and found a Microsoft Answers question on the subject. The answer seems to suggest this folder and files could be associated with Microsoft Security Essentials program antimalware and definition scanning.

The only puzzle to me is why I have only just noticed them from carrying out a defrag using Piriforms version?

It is now looking less likely that I have a problem associated with mpcache files but to be sure I would welcome further comments.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 1

I assume it's the same computer as in this earlier thread of yours: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/security-essentials-switch-on-procedure/ac328325-1c05-4f69-a3a8-fa6c64d1c833

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. When (approx. date) did you install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and was the computer fully-patched at Windows Update at the time?

2. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on this computer?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is checked. Now scroll down & tell me if ALL of the following updates are listed?

• KB2497640, KB2508272, KB2412687, KB2509553, KB2507618, KB2506223, KB2524375 & KB2393802

Most will be displayed as "Security Update for Windows XP" followed by the KB number in parentheses.

If IE8 is installed, one will be displayed as "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2497640)."

6. Is Meeting Planner (AKA MeetingPlanner Agent for Outlook) installed?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Giraffe 2
Found this helpful 0
Giraffe 2 replied on

Robear

Yes it is the same computer as my earlier MSE question. Do you think my mpcache query is related?

I hope the answers below to your list of questions will provide you with enough detail to answer my question about the mpcache query revealed from a recent defrag scan.

1. May 2010. Yes I have always kept my computer uptodate.

2. McAfee Security Centre. Yes my McAfee subscription was still current in May 2010. Yes I uninstalled McAfee before I installed MSE.

3. McAfee.

4. McAfee Security Center was preinstalled on my Dell computer.

5. All the security updates you quote are listed as installed on my computer.

6. Meeting Planner for Outlook is not installed on my computer.

Regards

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Did you (a) uninstall McAfee Security Centre AND THEN (b) download/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you installed MSE? [1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] cf. http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bf757e6a-e320-4a67-92bc-767e6acb26c4

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Giraffe 2
Found this helpful 0
Giraffe 2 replied on

Hi

I recall using a program called PC-Decrapifier to uninstall McAfee Security Centre prior to installing MSE. Later I heard about the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool and tried to use on its own at a later date but recall it did not appear to much.

I hope this helps you answer my mpcache query.

Regards

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer

If you did NOT run the the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool before you installed MSE, there's a very good chance that MSE did not install properly & therefore hasn't been working properly since you installed it in May 2010.

Then there's the possibility that your computer was already infected when McAfee Security Centre was installed (i.e., before you installed MSE). If such was the case, there's no way that MSE installed properly & therefore has never worked properly since you (attempted to?) install it a year ago.

The above alarming possibilities notwithstanding...

Considering the fact that nothing appears to be wrong with your computer and the fact that this little investigation only came about due to using Piriform Defraggler, don't do anything drastic until you've posted about this phenomenon in Piriforum's Defraggler-specific forum for clarification: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=19 (Registration required)

Always remember the First Rule of Computers: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Giraffe 2
Found this helpful 0
Giraffe 2 replied on

Hi Robear

I have taken your advice but Piriform forum have not provided anything more on my mpcache file query. It seems I may have the only computer in the world with this paricular issue although most unlikely!

I take your last point. It seems to me there is nothing fundementally wrong with my computer. It has a slight issue which I can handle.

My computer is working ok and it does not have any apparent virus or malware associated with the mpcache files or any others. 

I will move on. Thanks for your time and interest.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next