What does it mean "DLL could not be opened". I get this error on Windows startup.

Original Title: in windows xp what does it mean "DLL could not be opened"

At Startup I get the error message "DLL could not be opened". It doesn't give any details. What does this mean and how do I fix it???

At Startup I get the error message "DLL could not be opened". It doesn't give any details. What does this mean and how do I fix it???

Means some DLL that is trying to be opened because of some startup setting is not able to be opened.(Not being sarcastic - that's all you gave us so that is all that could be reflected bac.)

Use Autoruns to figure out what all is starting up when your computer does/when you log on. Look up anything you do not know about using Google (and/or ask here.) You can hopefully figure out if there are things starting when you computer does (or you logon) that you do not need and then configure them (via their own built-in mechanisms is the preferred method) so they do not start up - using your resources without reason.

You can download and utilize Process Explorer to see exactly what is taking up your processor/CPU time and memory. This can help you recognize applications you might want to look into alternatives for and/or get rid of all together.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2024 Views 4,498 Applies to: