Error 7023 The Application Management service terminated with the following error:

Get this message in Event Viewer every time I boot up:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date:  11/30/2012
Time:  12:16:14 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: OWNER-073112
Description:
The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The link tell me to go to sc query, but that doesn't mean much to me.  Can anyone tell me the "module" that is needed? 

I'd be happy to download the module if I knew what it was called.  Using XP Home Edition.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Communities. I understand that you facing issues on startup.

Before we start troubleshooting on the issue please provide us with the additional information by answering few questions mentioned below, this will help us to troubleshoot better.

1.       Were there any recent changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

Please go ahead and follow the methods mentioned and later update us on the status of the issue.

Method 1: Try booting your computer in safe mode and check if the same issue occurs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Method 2: If the issue does not exist in Safe Mode then try to set your computer in Clean Boot state.

By setting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state” in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Please perform these recommended steps and post back if you are still experiencing the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Booting in Safe Mode will not help you.

Booting in Clean Boot will not help you.

In addition to your listed Event, you might also see a message like this if you try to start the Service manually:

Could not start the Application management Service on Local Computer.
Error 126:  The specified module could not be found.

Since we don't know anything about your system (thanks to the MS Answers forums implementation), you might want to read this article and see if it applies to you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328213?wa=wsignin1.0

But even that article is wrong for the missing file is called appmgmts.dll (not appmgmt.dll)

I can also assure you with 100% certainty that in spite of what you read on the Internet, running sfc /scannow will not help you.  That is not what sfc /scannow does, that is not how it works and that is not what it is for.

What is the problem you are having that compels you to attempt to start the Service in the first place?   Even on XP Pro, I would suggest leaving it at Manual start since there is no need for this Service to be starting all the time and running all day with nothing to do.

If you have XP Pro and can't get it to start and are compelled to get it to start, maybe the Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "expert" will do a little homework and give you some ideas that will help you

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Perfect answer about trying suggested methods when the issue is clearly stated in the event log. Safe mode or clean boot will not assist in this error code 126 or event id 7023. The reply had some hints but the reply was concentrating on discouraging yo in finding the solution. Key answer is the windows management service terminated and a module was not found.

The service or container is hosted @  %windir%\system32\wbem

Inspection of this location will solve the issue. I found missing components specially the winmgmt application missing on some installations. Just copying the content of the namespace or container back from a working system solves the issue.

Jaja!! never give up cause that's why we have friends and logs!!!

Yours truly' ur google microsoft hybrid tech chiyinyan@gmail cleaning logs like a super guru maid.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2023 Views 5,293 Applies to: