Windows Firewall/ICS service error message - can't connect to internet

My laptop wont connect to the internet.  I try to start the Windows firewal ICS service via control panel and I get an error message.Error message 10050: socket operation encountered a dead network. It won't connect to any Internet network ether wirelessly or via Ethernet cord directly.  I recently had some virus problems and the afd driver located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\afd was infected.  I had troubles cleaning the file, but finally it did it.  But I honk that it had deleted it also as I do not see it there.  Could this be the root of my problem?  

Windows XP Pro with SP3. 
Vipre Antivirus
Dell Inspiron notebook 

Hi,

Network is down.

A socket operation encountered a dead network. This could indicate a serious failure of the network system (that is, the protocol stack that the Windows Sockets DLL runs over), the network interface, or the local network itself.

This issue is generally caused by Virus/Malware.

Download and run a full system scan using Microsoft Safety Scanner and check if the issue persists.

Microsoft Safety Scanner

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

You may also refer the link provided below to resolve the issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15059

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply.

I know a month ago I did have viruses, but they have since been cleaned using Vipre Antivirus.  I think when hey were removed, it deleted the file (afd driver in the Windows system folder) that was infected.  I will still try to run that Windows scanner.

The afd driver no longer shows up in the windows\system32\drivers\ folder.  If I have another similar Dell, is there a way I can transfer the afd driver over to my computer?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I completed the Microsoft scan and it showed there were infected files, and it said they were removed. My computer is still unable to establish an Internet connection.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This thread was originally created in the Hardware and Drivers forum.  The Microsoft Answers Moderation team has moved it to the Networking and Getting Online forum.  Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2024 Views 2,739 Applies to: