Error: "Server error: 554, 0x800CCC6F" while sending mails from Outlook Express

Original Title: error 554 fix

I can receive mail from Outlook Express, but not send.  It says "Server error, 554, 0x800 CCC6F.  My server says it's MY problem, that I had a virus or something ran through my system, and I can't use my email for 48 hours, and to look it up on the web.  She said somebody used my IP address to run a high volume of email traffic (probably spam) through.  Is there a fix for this, because it's driving me insane, especially with a postal strike looming.

Brenda

Answer
Answer

If its an issue with your computer sending out emails, then you need to get an antivirus program, such as www.microsoft.com/security_essentials and also antimalware (www.malwarebytes.org) and thoroughly scan and disinfect your computer. 

Then in OE, remove your mail account completely and close and then reopen OE.  Then add your mail account back again with the proper credentials.  Also go to Tools | Options | Security and put it into the Restricted Zone and check the box that says to warn you if someone is trying to send email as you. 

After you have finished with that, then wait the 48 hours your ISP is giving you, and then try receiving and sending again. 

steve

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Please post any error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread.
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2021 Views 1,463 Applies to: